sutting down when sleeping ( mca error report)

Reaction score
Hi
Hope someone can help
Fairly new to macs
When my mac is sleeping it wants to restart and when it does it comes with following error report

**MCA error report***
CPU machine check architecture error dump(cpu:Intel(r) core i5-7400 [email protected] CPUID: 0x906E90
CATERR detected ! no mca data found

Can someone help
Thanks in advance

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

We really need some specs on your Mac: Year and model, version of macOS you're running.

In the meantime, we suggest you try to reset the SMC (System Management Controller).

Follow Apple's Instructions here:

How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

OP
J
Reaction score
Welcome to our forums.

We really need some specs on your Mac: Year and model, version of macOS you're running.

In the meantime, we suggest you try to reset the SMC (System Management Controller).

Follow Apple's Instructions here:

How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

Ah fair point
It’s a 2017 27”
Running latest update os
I5 7400 3ghz
8gig ram
R9 580 gpu
Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Okay, thanks for the specs. Don't forget to try the SMC reset as that controls sleep and power settings. Real easy to do on an iMac - just follow Apple's directions. And let us know if that helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
There are a whole bunch of posts on the internet about this error. This is what I found when I searched for it:

caterr detected mac at DuckDuckGo

Also here is a really detailed blog on what that error means: Debug of Intel CATERR - Blog

From what I am reading it might be a logicboard issue coming from the intel CPU.

Just some troubleshooting you can try:

1. Start in Safe Mode and see if it happens - if not it could be software related. How to Start Your Mac in Safe Mode: 8 Steps (with Pictures)

2. Create a new account and if that fixes it then software is probably the issue.

3. Reset the SMC and NVRAM - can’t hurt and might help. Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.