Surge protection for MacBook Air?

R

RonH

Before switching to the Air from a PC, I used this model-APC BACKUPS XS 1500-Uninterruptible Power Supply/battery backup for my laptop, monitor, printer, modem, etc. APC's parent company,Schneider Electric, confirmed there is no Mac-compatible software available to download for use with my Apple system. How does anyone reading this protect their Apple system from electrical power outages, surges, spikes, etc? Is there a comparable protection brand that I could use? Yes, I can use a generic surge protector but power outages are not a function of surge protectors. Hope this make sense..colutions? Thanks in advance!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Most new UPS units are Mac compatible. APC and CyberPower are definitely Mac compatible because that's what I'm using.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac mini late 2012; mac mini early 2014; old mac mini running centos; new macbook air; iPad;iPhone
I'm wondering what you are trying to protect. The MBAir is only connected to a possible surge source during recharging. A generic UPS could provide adequate protection. I'm not sure what the software would do for you.

If you are trying to protect the entire system, display, external drives, etc a UPS makes more sense; then you only have to worry about the duration of the outage is less than the possible UPS battery life.

I'd just use the backups xs and not worry about the software.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
Most new UPS units are Mac compatible. APC and CyberPower are definitely Mac compatible because that's what I'm using.

Yea same here. Have a huge workstation grade APC UPS hooked to my Mac Mini, its sort of hilarious as its 4 to 5 times larger then my Mini. But I also got my USB router and two external MyBooks hooked to it also. Then I got a china brand power backup for my monitors.

However I think the OP was referring to the management software like Parachute that comes with them that links via a USB or other serial cable. The software will report battery life, condition and you can set it when to shutdown.

Now I have not plugged it up to see if the built in power management software will recognize the UPS if it is plugged in to the system or not. I myself never hook them up unless its to a server. I just listen to the beep frequency, more beeps, less power left.. LOL

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
I'm wondering what you are trying to protect. The MBAir is only connected to a possible surge source during recharging............

Some users like to keep their system plugged up continuously when at a desk because of the performance boost. I do this also.

OP
R

RonH

I'll just use the XS1500 without the software which seems to be unneeded to function properly. Great comments!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.