Supplemental security update for High Sierra 10.13.2 now available for download

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
This update addresses the "meltdown and spectre" security issue. It should be downloaded as soon as possible. It's a lengthy update and requires a reboot. It is highly recommended that you make a cloned backup of your system first.

Reaction score
Has anyone done this update yet? If so, any problems to report?

Thanks. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Done. NO problems. Takes a while, but it worked just as advertised.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Any users notice any "slowdowns" as some MS users seem to be experiencing with their Windows protection version???

I read somewhere that ALL various OS Systems would have some slowdowns when current patches are installed. Period!!!

And now this:
Microsoft says security patches slowing down PCs, servers

Intel said a typical home and business PC user should not see significant slowdowns in common tasks such as reading email, writing a document or accessing digital photos.
Rival AMD had also played down the threat, saying its products were at “zero risk” from the Meltdown flaw, but that one variant of the Spectre bug could be resolved by software updates from vendors such as Microsoft.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...N1EY17X?feedType=RSS&feedName=topNews&rpc=408

- Patrick
======

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Patrick, don't believe half of what you see in the papers. I have applied the patch and see no discernible difference in performance. Slowing down for Mac is "fake news."

I also distrust any company that claims "zero risk" from anything, too. That's too cocky for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Patrick, don't believe half of what you see in the papers.

Man you're sure generous Jake — to actually suggest that I could actually believe half of what I read in the papers. Not likely!! :\

Anyway, there was a potential, especially if there was some sloppy programming involved I would suggest, and there doesn't seem to be a huge shortage of that the last few years. :Not-Amused:

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2011 MacBook Pro 2.0 i7,4gb ram 500 hd
did the update on my MacBook pro this morning, took a while to complete but no issues so far at all and doesn't seem to have taken a performance hit at all. does it really surprise people that the fix will cause problems and performance issues with microsoft products? their operating systems are nothing short of a hot mess and have serious issues even without upgrades and patches. the number one reason I switched to Apple products when microsoft windows came out and not ever planning on going back to windows. I am a loyal apple user until the end.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.