Superdrive replacement?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G4 MDD 1.5 GHZ (OC) 1.25 GB Ubuntu and Leopard INTEL SUCK IT!!
I have been trying to revive my suoerdrive that came with my MDD, but to no avail. After upgrading to leopard, my frustration continues with my need to use my fast but limited use USB external ( You can't boot from usb on ppc, I had to use TDM to install leopard). So, should I go for an original, or is there a cheaper alternative?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Buy a Pioneer superdive, currently about $39.00 down under so may be even cheaper wherever you are. They are easy to remove and replace, with the exception of the molex power plug. Struth they are tight so use needle nose pliers on the white plastic frame and not on the cables. MDD are slightly different to this illustrated how to, but you will get the idea:-

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/G3-ZONE/hival52x/install.html

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay, thanks, but is there a drive that can burn DL discs that is drop-in type deal (no special drivers or such) i'm willing to fork over some money for one, I already have that on my external, but just wondering. I have found a few nice NOS superdrives for a bargain ($30) so I may do that. I already tried a samsung drive, not surprised it isn't even shown in profiler. This has been the only hassle with my G4, I even tried the other IDE channel near the drives, didnt work. Before I do anything else, however, I'll attach an HDD to each channel to check it isn't the channels.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As much as I hate to disagree with the venerable hughvane, never have got an external hard drive to boot from USB 2 on a G3, G4 or G5, and this article refers to external hard drives, not optical drives. A lot of evidence suggests TUAW talk througb their collective hat at times.

The Pioneer drive quoted is DL and will burn without drivers and is recognised as native. Personally use Toast Titanium, so do not know if Disk Utility would burn DVD+R DL discs.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Well harry, the venerable hughvane seems to be correct. I too had doubts that it would work until I started reading this from the OSXHints Forum. The article and comments are dated around 2006 but should still apply.

Regards.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have never had any luck with that on my powerbook g4, I've already seen those articles too, my inexpensive and fast IOmagic USB DVD+r DL drive mustn't be so compliant as I thought

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Tried it dozens of times and yet to have a success, but have heard SOME [/B ] and only some iMac G5's will boot from USB2.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.