Superdrive Issues - I need help...

Reaction score
All this time I thought Macs were so great....

But now my superdrive has not lived up to that expectation. It simply isn't working. I've tried the Apple support chat 3 times w/ no luck. I have an iMac G5; I inserted a burned data cd and it, quite frankly, ate it. I've tried everything listed on the apple site...Open Firmware, Hold the mouse down and restart, etc. I don't think that the cd isn't ejecting, but that the mac isn't recognizing the superdrive. What can I possibly do (I'd like to do this on my end, not bring it to an Apple Store, but I will if I have to. I am willing to open up the machine if need be).

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
The hold down the mouse works like this

As soon as you turn on the computer hold down on the mouse...it won't work hold it all throughout the restart because the computer can't detect the mouse click upon boot if you are holding it

What happened when you tried open firmware?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
try shutting down the mac for a few minutes, then boot up while holding down the mouse.
if it works, insert another disc and see if it reads any discs at all, if not, its a hardware, maybe software problem.

OP
djlee12
Reaction score
Macman said:
try shutting down the mac for a few minutes, then boot up while holding down the mouse.
if it works, insert another disc and see if it reads any discs at all, if not, its a hardware, maybe software problem.

Thanks Macman, I honestly restarted my mac about 20 times, doing the mouse click half the time and the open firmware the other half, but it seems leaving it off for a few minutes did the trick. As soon as I heard the CD drive start spinning on startup, then eject my CD, I once again thanked thanked the good grace of Mac OS X. You saved me a 45 min trip (One Way) to the Apple store. THANKS!

Oh, trpnmonkey, if you read this, I'm just wondering who that is in your Avatar picture. Is that Trey Anastasio from Phish?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.