Superdrive Compatability

Reaction score
I have read with great interest the replies to the Superdrives Thread dated 26 Jan 2023. My question is somewhat along similar lines. I have a Superdrive and seriously considering upgrade to my system to M2 Mac Mini. My question, will the Superdrive work with the M2 Mac Mini? This model isn't mentioned in the thread hence my question, if that isn’t the case what’s the alternative. My thanks in advance for any guidance or recommendations.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Lliterally, anything. Anything will work. Anything. I have an old LG Blu-ray drive that has a mini-USB port (older than micro-USB!) and it works fine with an adapter. If I was buying new, I would grab one of Pioneer's models that have USB-C as their port. I mentioned them in that other thread. This will greatly simply things by avoiding the need for an adapter. USB-C for everything!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I'm going to post a couple links here. I just posted them as a followup to that other thread, but these are very much worth reading. Firstly, you may specifically need Apple's own USB-C to USB-A adapter.

Secondly, be sure to not be plugging into a hub, or at least not a hub that doesn't have its own power supply. You may not get enough passthrough power to the drive if you connect to an unpowered hub. This article suggests that even an AC-powered hub may not work. This is a great read.

OP
A
Reaction score
I currently have 27 inch iMac macOS Monterey v. 12.6.3 3.2 GHz core i5 8GB DDR3 AMD Radeon
I have received such a lot of information to my thread I'm so grateful for all your replies.
My plan is to buy a M2 Mac Mini (24 Jan 2023) and an Apple studio display, so that means starting from the beginning. At the moment I'm trying to cover all bases. Many, many thanks once again

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.