SUPER SLOW SSD(3rdparty as internal) ON MAC OS

Reaction score
I have a 2011 13 inch macbookpro last year I purchased a kingston120 GB ssd and replaced it with my defult apple hdd . It was working perfectly. My boot time was about 8 seconds. It was working great till last week I installed App Mac cleaner 2 (I was on yosemite)and I cleaned some junk data . I got back to my Bootcamp windows partition and used it for hours . I reset my machine and got back to mac os and boot was so slow .I waited 1 minute and finally got into mac os . But evrything in mac os was superslow . I waited 2 minutes for login .I couldnt do anything. after every single click mac os was lagin about 30 second(spinning ball). I got back to bootcamp and it was fast like before.
I tried these steps to fix the issue
1.repair disk and repair permission disk using dikutilities.
2.PRAM and SMC reset.
3 chech firmware updates and updated ssd firmware
It didnt help so decided to earase the whole ssd and clean install mac os using bootable maverics(downloaded from appstore)usb,the point is the whole installation process was super slow too it almost took 12 hours and I was seeng spinning colerfull ball after evry click and after keyboard input.
Reinstalling didnt solve the problem . I replaced the old default apple hdd and install mac os on it and it was good , no lag , no spinning ball . I tested ssd on another machine , installed linux ubunto on it and made a speed test and everything was working great. So it isnt ssd issue.
right now im on my ssd . I got a linux os and superslow mac os on ssd
Anyone can help me?
Thanks

OP
S
Reaction score
SSD works as external drive too!

Yesterday i booted the MBP from ssd as a external drive using sata to usb cable , and it worked fine.(mac os x)
but i replaced it again in the board and it's too slow i cant even use my mac .
so ssd works as external with mac os x but doesnt work as internal with mac os .
again this problem is only with mac os not Windows, not linux.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Hi!

I was going to tell you that Mac Cleaner2 was your problem because some say it will cause more problems than it fixes but reinstalling OS X should have fixed that. I am assuming you are just reinstalling OS X and then NOT following up with a Time Machine reinstall of all your apps because any problems Mac Cleaner caused would potentially return.

Anyway, you have done a lot of the things I would have suggested. The fact it will run with the drive hooked up to a USB port but not off the interface in the computer would have indicated an internal connection issue but you state your Bootcamp/Windows runs great and Linux runs great - I assume while the drive is in the computer.

The only thing I can think of is with all the reinstalls and the fact apple does not enable TRIM on third party SSD's this could be the issue. It seems the way the SSD deals with deleted or erased files is to create garbage files that then have to be erased and written over "on the fly" which takes time. Here are some links that explain it much better than I am.

OS X Yosemite and third-party SSDs: Here's what you need to know | ZDNet

Trim Enabler and Yosemite | Cindori

I am just guessing here. I do know that TRIM is automatic on with Windows. Not sure about Linux though.

I am grasping here. Hopefully some of the others will take a look and have an idea. This is really perplexing - as I am sure you will agree.

Lisa

OP
S
Reaction score
Yeah I read in some sites about Trim
actually I installed TrimEnabler and finally trimmed unused blocked using disk utilities on recovery mode
after that i got into Mac OS and everything was okay for about 1 minute. my boot time was like 4 5 seconds. i thought that it was fixed the issue , but after about 50 second everything went slow suddenly :| ,
it happened once again when i installed Ubuntu (dual boot) and boot into Mac Os X
Its really confusing i don't even know its a hardware issue or its about software.
thank you anyway

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Yes it is confusing all the tooing and froing. Had a Kingston Now and what you describe is identical to mine when it failed at six months. Contact the seller and ask for details of a replacement if it is less than 12 months old.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
S
Reaction score
Tnx guys!
Lisa, Here's My SSD i:

Download SH103S3_526_Win, for SH103S3 | Kingston Technology

Actually I updated the firmware update for SSD using bootable USB right after I found out that reinstalling cant fix the issue . firmware update didnt help . I also check the SSD status using the same bootable software[Kingston's] and there was no problem . even I checked the SSD LifeTime, it was 100% .
So i don't think it's with the SSD. I did multiple Benchmarks testing On linux Ubuntu and everything was great.
by the way I didnt try Internet Recovery[Lion].i dont know if it can help.any idea?
I'm out of idea . It all happened when I installed "Maccleaner2" and deleted some junk files.
but how can a software application make problem like this . I mean I ZEROed the whole SSD!!!
how about I restore all firmware updates ?

Reaction score
sorry but mac cleaner screws up machines its junk ware designed to break your machine

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.