pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hello all Mac-Forums members. Got some "super-duper-awesome-great" news to share with everyone. Just released...we now have iOS and Android versions of custom Mac-Forums apps for mobile devices!!! We've been working on this since August...and ran into some speedbumps along the way...but all is looking great now!:)

Early feedback is that the apps are an improved experience over using a browser on mobile devices (phones & tablets).:)

Due to the "speedbumps"...the name of the apps differ a bit:

- Apple App Store = "M-Forums Mobile".
- Google Play store = "Mac-Forums Mobile".

Both apps are available for install immediately. Please check them out & give them a try on your mobile devices!:)

The Mac-Forums Staff

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hey forum members....

Go for it! It works and it's fun. Now you can read and reply to the forums when on the go. Just think.... while you accompany your better half (wife or husband) out shopping or whatever, you can totally ignore them and instead communicate with your fellow forum members. LOL (Hey folks.. only kidding.)

Our thanks to Nick for being persistent in getting this going.

Charlie

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Hey forum members....

Just think.... while you accompany your better half (wife or husband) out shopping or whatever, you can totally ignore them and instead communicate with your fellow forum members. LOL (Hey folks.. only kidding.)

Our thanks to Nick for being persistent in getting this going.

Charlie
ROTFL. Do I need to clear some space for a cot when SWMBO sees that comment? Lol. Maybe there is a member closer to you who can provide a safe house for a bit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
Yes, I found it yesterday. It showed up when I opened Safari on y iPad.I started a thread about it, but didn’t try it out until today.

Thanks for everyone that put their time into it. I haven’t tried it on my iPhone yet, that will wait until I’m out and about somewhere.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just in case it went unnoticed. When someone posts a message from the new mobile apps...a "Sent from my xyz device using Mac-Forums" tag-line is included with a link.

If this link is clicked on...you are then presented with links/buttons to the Apple App Store (iOS) & Google Play Store (Android) for downloading the app version of interest.:)

- Nick

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
First post from new iOS app. Thank you for all your efforts in making this possible

Ian

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
First post from new iOS app. Thank you for all your efforts in making this possible.

Looking good. Thanks for testing.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
Hey guys, I can’t see how to give “thumbs-up” for posts? Am I missing it?

Also, you can search in the iOS App Store for “Mac Forums” and it will show up first in the list.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Yes, I found it yesterday. It showed up when I opened Safari on y iPad.I started a thread about it, but didn’t try it out until today.

Thanks Bob, and I should have read your first line you posted more carefully and I might have clued into what you might have been posting about:
I just opened my browser on my iPad, and at the top of the web page, I was offered the new iOS app.

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks Bob, and I should have read your first line you posted more carefully and I might have clued into what you might have been posting about:- Patrick
======

Hey Patrick, give the new app a try and let us know how you like it. Not sure if you still have your iPad though?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Hey Patrick, give the new app a try and let us know how you like it. Not sure if you still have your iPad though?

Thanks but no thanks Charlie. And yes I still have my iPad but basically only use it when traveling (seldom) or when I might have to, and it or some iOS feature usually frustrates me every time I do.

And it really amazes me how Apple managed to screw up their chance to make an almost perfect iPad OS when they first developed and released their iOS, and unfortunately they seem to continue to do so. Quite unfortunate actually.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Congratulations Mac-Forum Staff on the new apps to the Forum. Keep up the excellent work guys. :)

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
M-Forums app for iOS

How did I miss this? Well I didn't entirely because I'm writing this on the app now. I went to a home screen bookmark I had created with iOS Safari to Mac Forums and it asked me if I would like to open the page via the above app (M-Forums). I see that Tapatalk is in the sent from address but as I recall Tapatalk did not offer Mac Forums as a link. NS is the developer so I'm guessing that's the "Nick" we know. Either way, don't know how you did it but love it. I was a big fan of the previous MF app and was very sad to see it go.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad you like it Rod. I know you're a big mobile device user...and was waiting to hear what you thought.:)

- Nick

p.s. Merged this thread with the new app announcement thread.:)

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Nick, it made my day. Personally I had just about given up checking email notifications in my iphone. The full size web page is so small in a browser it's almost impossible to read much less post a reply. Thank you, I'm sure I'm not the only one who will love this app.

Sent from my iPhone

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was a big fan of the previous MF app and was very sad to see it go.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums
It took me about an hour of using the new app to decide that I liked it head and shoulders more than the old one. I've never been a big fan pf reading forums on IOS devices but this works. Haven't tried it on the iPhone yet and may not. It's just too small.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The old app was better at doing moderation but was not very good at replying. Both apps, new and old are best used on an iPad where you have more screen to work with. Although I guess the newer iPhone XsMax version has a large enough screen to move around on. My iPad Pro with a 10.5" screen works real well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I’m back to using the browser version, I couldn’t figure out how to “thumbs up” to good reply’s, in the app.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I’m back to using the browser version, I couldn’t figure out how to “thumbs up” to good reply’s, in the app.
I haven't found a way to do that yet. The closest I can come to that is to do the following:
1. When viewing a post in the IOS app tap either the three dots in the upper right cornerr or the time of the post.
2. Some additional options appear in the upper right corner of the screen. I had to choose"open in Web view" or something like that. From there you are looking at a web view of the post and can add rep points etc.

I don't think it actually opens Safari to show the web view but I did have to re-enter my login info so I'm not sure about that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.