Summary of Issues when upgrading to Mojave

krs

Reaction score
With Mojave being the last macOS that will run 32-bit applications, I think there may be a lot of users that will take that step for now rather than moving all the way to Catalina.

Most Macs in my family are now at El Capitan and the next logical step seems to be to move them to Mojave even though the hardware in all cases will handle at least Catalina and beyond.

I would like to understand any potential issues (and workarounds if available) when moving from El Capitan to Mojave so I can address then with the users before the upgrade.

For testing purposes, I installed Mojave on an external 500GB SSD connected to the 2012 MacMini via USB 3.0.

What I found so far:
Installed Mojave on 500GB SSD external using installer USB Flash drive
Ran Migration from El Capitan on the 2012 MacMini
In general things went well except:
1. No keyboard and no mouse.
Turned out I had the keyboard connected via a USB 3.0 hub (not separately powered).
When I freed up a USB port on the Mini and plugged the keyboard cable in there, everything was fine.
The strange thing here is that connecting the keyboard and mouse via that USB 3.0 hub was fine on El Capitan,ran it like that for years, but Mojave decided that the keyboard/mouse needed more power.

2. Didn't detect external Asus USB CD/DVD burner connected to the USB 3.0 hub.
Same issue as with the keyboard - worked fine that way with El Capitan.
Moving the USB CD/DVD burner on Mojave solved that issue...but I'm running out of USB 3.0 ports on the Mini

3. The Grab application, which I use a lot, was replaced by "Screenshot" in my dock.
Although 'Screenshot' provides a few more options than 'Grab', it doesn't allow one to attach a name when saving like 'Grab', everything is automatically named Screenshot with as time stamp.
This makes things rather cumbersome for me and less user friendly - don't really understand how Apple could have missed that option -maybe it's fixed on Catalina.
However, I just read that 'Grab' will actually work on Mojave by just copying the application from El Capitan and adding it to the Application folder.
I haven't tried that yet but will sometime this week.

Items tested and seem to be working fine:
a. "Saved As...." under the File menu - fix I had on El Capitan carriedover to Mojave
b. Dashboard - same as El Capitan for items I use
c. ASUD external CD/DVD drive when connected directly to USB port on Mini or powered hub
d. Epson WF-7720 printer

I don't use itunes or iphoto or photo
Can anyone confirm that these still work - family always complain that the lose pictures and audio files when the macOS is upgraded.

Any other common issues when moving to Mojave or Apple apps being replaced (like Grab with Screenshot)?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I find it curious that you had issues with the burner running from a hub. I have mine connected that way and it runs fine. Is your hob powered by separate electrical power or does it only rely on usb power?

If I understand your problem with Screenshot correctly that has not changed in Catalina. I'd never noticed that different before. It's not a feature I use often. I might have to try your fix with Image Capture.

iTunes and Photos still work under Mojave. I don't think there were any major changes for either program though I don't use Photos regularly enough to really put it through its paces.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
The strange thing here is that connecting the keyboard and mouse via that USB 3.0 hub was fine on El Capitan,ran it like that for years, but Mojave decided that the keyboard/mouse needed more power.
That may have just been a "new install" issue, and it may work with the hub forever after a restart with it connected? Probably the same with the external burner as well.

Both iTunes and Photos are still there and will work in Mojave.

OP
krs

krs

Reaction score
I find it curious that you had issues with the burner running from a hub. I have mine connected that way and it runs fine. Is your hob powered by separate electrical power or does it only rely on usb power?

The problem is with an unpowered hub, ie feed-through USB power only.
I would understand this if that configuration wasn't working on El Capitan either, but on El Capitan with the burner connected to the unpowered hub works fine.
I just did some measurements with the burner and Mojave (first one on unpowered hub, second one connected to powered hub
Burner idle...4.96 volts, 50ma; 5.05 volts, 50ma
Burner active (CD only)...4.77 volts, 340ma; 4.79 volts, 350ma

On the burner I can understand why Apple blocks operation via an unpowered hub since the burner would require even more current to burn a CD or DVD and without being able to draw enough current could produce a coaster

However, for the keyboard/mouse, that shouldn't be an issue since their current requirements are much less and moving the mouse or hitting a key only increases current draw by a few milliamps.

Now I'm wondering if I can use a non-powered USB 3.0 hub with Mojave at all

OP
krs

krs

Reaction score
That may have just been a "new install" issue, and it may work with the hub forever after a restart with it connected? Probably the same with the external burner as well.

I tried both a few times after having booted up from MOjave about four times - still the same problem for both.
Neither one will work with the unpowered hub.
Message comes up "USB Accessory needs power"
At least now one gets a message indicating what is wrong, when I first finished the migration there was no message, the screen had turned off and all my pounding on the space bar didn't turn it back on.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I think you've pretty much answered my powered vs. unpowered hub question. I didn't run into this kind of behavior but I've been running powered hubs only for several years. That's partly due to issues running things like burners where power was provided via a dual USB lead.At the time I was running my MB Pro as my primary machine so I didn't have ports to spare.

OP
krs

krs

Reaction score
I now transferred the Grab application from El Capitan to Mojave using a USB Flash Drive.
Tried one quick test - worked fine.

So far I'm a Happy Camper - I hope it stays that way since I will be using Mojave on the external SSD until I find a good deal on a 1TB SSD to install internal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Most Macs in my family are now at El Capitan and the next logical step seems to be to move them to Mojave even though the hardware in all cases will handle at least Catalina and beyond.

What features are you looking for in Mohave that you need or does it have anything you want or need that your current El Capitan doesn't have and with everything actually working there???

Just curious...

- Patrick
======

OP
krs

krs

Reaction score
What features are you looking for in Mohave that you need...........

Actually None.
I just listened to this video to see if there were any that I hadn't thought of
YouTube
but the answer is still none.

Main reason I decided to upgrade is so that I can use some applications that won't run on El Capitan.
Kofax pdf is one I wanted to try - I wasn't that impressed on first go around, but besides that my Vizio TV added Air Play 2 and El Capitan doesn't support that.
I also find that some apps start to no longer run on older macOS versions, like GoToWebinar.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I also find that some apps start to no longer run on older macOS versions, like GoToWebinar.

I didn't even see any sign or mention of what minimum OS version system requirements needed for GoToWebinar:
Steps for Installing on Macs
Steps for Installing on Macs

- Patrick
======

OP
krs

krs

Reaction score
Patrick,

GoToWebinar pulls the same stunts as some other developers - they think everyone is on the latest or close to the latest OS, especially with the Mac where OS updates have been free for a while.
We were running GoToWebinar on macOS 10.6.8 for years, then we had another webinar set up and suddenly many people could not log in.
After a lot of back and forth, it turned out that GoToWebinar decided to no longer support SnowLeopard, but they failed to mention that to anyone let alone give any warning.
I had a similar issue with ClipGrab - great program. I got a message that an upgrade was available and to down load it.
So I download, install to the Application folder, then a few days later try to use it - get the message I need at least macOS 10.12 or 10.13 (can't remember which) to run that. The old version of course had been replaced.
Luckily the developer still had the old version available for download, but if they had done their job right, they wouldn't have offered the upgrade at all or at least told me what the minimum macOS version was to run it.

OP
krs

krs

Reaction score
I have been using Mojave for a couple of weeks now - mostly OK but I just ran into another issue where maybe someone has a work-around.

I regularly get a Motor Trend newsletter because we subscribe to the magazine. Have been getting those for years.
With Apple Mail in Mojave, this newsletter is now, for some reason, automatically classified as "junk mail"

No problem I figure, I just do a right-click and select "Mark as "Not Junk" like I have done with some other emails in El Capitan.
But to my surprise, Apple Mail no longer provides that option - at least not by doing a 'right-click', ie contextual menu.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
I have been using Mojave for a couple of weeks now - mostly OK but I just ran into another issue where maybe someone has a work-around.

I regularly get a Motor Trend newsletter because we subscribe to the magazine. Have been getting those for years.
With Apple Mail in Mojave, this newsletter is now, for some reason, automatically classified as "junk mail"

No problem I figure, I just do a right-click and select "Mark as "Not Junk" like I have done with some other emails in El Capitan.
But to my surprise, Apple Mail no longer provides that option - at least not by doing a 'right-click', ie contextual menu.
You should have the option to Move to Inbox, which should result in the same result.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You should have the option to Move to Inbox, which should result in the same result.

Not to shoot the messenger, but how or why would Apple even think of considering such an Option would be the same as just flagging such messages as "Not junk".

I think they are losing it, or should I say have lost it already. :Not-Amused:

Gheese!!

- Patrick
======

OP
krs

krs

Reaction score

The message is already in the inbox.
It's dimmed out and marked with the junk icon

If I move it to the inbox using 'right-click' the message just disappears.
No clue where to, but I can retrieve it with Edit Undo.

In any case, even if that did work, I would have the same problem with the next email from Motor Trend

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Then you will have to set a rule, or white list the sender.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In any case, even if that did work, I would have the same problem with the next email from Motor Trend

Do you have Motor Trend newsletter E-mail address in your Contacts list?

What about setting up a Mail e-mail Rule to deal with their e-mails???
Maybe that will help it realize that it is not junk and treat it like a normal email message???

- Patrick
======

OP
krs

krs

Reaction score
Did a bit more digging.

Turns out one has to actually open the email message, then there is a button at the top right to make this a "Not Junk" option.

Question now is does Apple Mail remember that for the next message from that sender.

Also begs the question why Apple Mail suddenly decided the emails from that sender are "Junk Mail" considering they came through fine for years before with El Camino.

OP
krs

krs

Reaction score
No to both Bob's and Patrick's question.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Also begs the question why Apple Mail suddenly decided the emails from that sender are "Junk Mail" considering they came through fine for years before with El Camino.

A senior moment perhaps? :smile

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.