Sum tricky stuff

Reaction score
Ok here goes. My bro-in-law gave me his macbook shortly before he went to war in iraq. He gave me the password however I must have wrote it down wrong. So I was unable to call him 2 years ago when he was deployed to conrfirm the password. So... long story short a buddy of mine created sum kind of 2nd user account on my OS x with admin privileges the new password was left blank. Meaning just my user name and no password. However I've been running into some issues and I want to update my safari and other apps and OS. I feel like I've updated itunes before without a problem. But when prompted for password for the OS x update and safari I leave it blank and the install denies me stating I don't have the appropriate access privileges. Can anyone help me with this? I'd love to be able to update this. Surely sumthing must be able to be done. I have the original password but it no longer works since my friend has hacked my mac. I still see my bro in laws name and account as another user but the password he said it is doesn't work either HELP!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
buddy of mine created sum kind of 2nd user account on my OS x with admin privileges the new password was left blank.

I have the original password but it no longer works since my friend has hacked my mac.

A bit of confusion there.....
Buddy?
Friend hacked my Mac?

I think your best bet is to ring Apple parts department, quote your mac specs and serial number, and for approx $20 they will ship out the original install discs and you will be able to reset the password, or even better, perform a clean install and start from scratch!

OP
drshakegonzo
Reaction score
I simply meant hes a more tech end guy than me and did sum stuff to create it possible for me to use the mac when I wasn't able to originally. And why would I want to pay $20 bux for this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I simply meant hes a more tech end guy than me and did sum stuff to create it possible for me to use the mac when I wasn't able to originally. And why would I want to pay $20 bux for this?

Well, whatever he (or you did) you can't use it now.
If you had the admin password, then you would be able to create an admin account with all privilages and scrap the old ones. Seeing that you are in the boat you are in, and do not have a password to get you sorted, you can ask why you would want to spend $20, but the answer has been given already!
Otherwise.... call your techy "friend" and get him to help you undo whatever mess it is that has been created and get it running without the disc if that is possible.

Oh, by the way... It's a pleasure!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
I'm afraid 6 string is right. Many updates and any installation procedures will require an administrator password. That's how Macs stay so secure. If you don't have one, your only option is to buy new installation disks. You got a free computer, and if the previous owner didn't give you the correct password and didn't give you the installation disks, $20 isn't a whole lot to spend.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.