Suddenly screen turned black

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA
This Mac Book Pro of my son who was on it working. After a while working on it for about 10 minutes, when he connected his USB mouse to the Mac Book pro the screen turned black.
He uses usb mouse to play a computer game called "Minecraft"

It is not now starting. When this happened the battery charge was 31%.
Now when connect to the wall to charge the connecter does not show red or green light on the connector.(May be a faint green visible-I do not know if that is my imagination)

The OS is 10.9.5
The model is 15-inch MacBook Pro bought in November 2011.
2.2GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7
•4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM — 2x2GB
•128GB Solid State Drive
•SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
•MacBook Pro 15-inch Glossy Widescreen Display

Please can anybody help me with this debacle.

Regards

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Have you tried unplugging everything from the computer…and rebooting?

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA
Have you tried unplugging everything from the computer…and rebooting?

- Nick

I tried as above, but not booting pressing the start/power button. No sound. Black screen.
MacSafe Power adopter has a faint green light I could see when connected.

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA
Try this...an SMC Reset (it may be similar to what you've already done):

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) - Apple Support

- Nick

I could not get SMC reset-because there was no response to start button. :Confused::'(

Left it for over night not plugged to the wall.

This morning again no response to start button.

An hour later connected to the wall with MacSafe Power Adapter and pressed the start button- it has booted and seem (too short time to infer the behaviour) to behave normally.

Would anybody tell me if
1.The earlier debacle of this Mac Book Pro was an early warning of an impending Logic Board failure?

Computer was bought from Apple directly on the 30th November 2011-bought new and not refurbished.

2.Could I take any extra measures to check this out- an impending logic board failure?
(Except from backing up all the information on this computer)

Thanking you for your suggestions.

Last edited:
OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA
Hello Guys,
The Mac Book Pro boots ok but the external gaming USB mouse is not recognised in either USB port since the debacle.

However when I put in a USB memory sandisk cruser 16GB stick,it is recognised normal in both USB ports.

I have tried SMC reset as well as NVRAM reset without avail.

Can some one help me to get this gaming mouse work in the USB port?

(I connected to test the gaming USB mouse on a different Mac - in my Mac Book Air -mid 2009, and it works well)

Regards

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello Guys,
The Mac Book Pro boots ok but the external gaming USB mouse is not recognised in either USB port since the debacle.

Firstly shouldn't you be saying something like..."Thank god the computer is working fine!!!";)

Getting the computer to work is a heck of a lot more important than this mouse!;)

Can some one help me to get this gaming mouse work in the USB port?

(I connected to test the gaming USB mouse on a different Mac - in my Mac Book Air -mid 2009, and it works well)

Has this mouse ever worked with this computer (son's MacBook Pro)?

- NIck

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA
Hello Nick,
I really appreciate your time. Thank you.

I am sorry in that I was hasty in posting this morning (in someway got excited seeing my son's Mac Book Pro to work again)

Yes, he had this Gaming Mouse for X'Mas 2014 and worked well until last night when the above described has happened as in my first post.

Now the most revealing (I hope it is, as I am computer illiterate by the way) is that just prior my last post, out of curiosity, I connected my son's gaming mouse to my 2009 Mac Book Air -it worked. I just pulled out of the USB port of my Mac Book Air and attempted to attach a different USB mouse a non gaming simple one- Now this second time around within minutes of each other attempt,it is not recognised by my Mac Book Air.

So I put in again (tried again) my son's gaming mouse in my Mac Book Air which worked just few minutes prior to that -it is not recognised either this time around!!.

I hope this will help you identify my problem.

Once again Thank you

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Now the most revealing (I hope it is, as I am computer illiterate by the way) is that just prior my last post out of curiosity connected my son's gaming mouse to my 2009 Mac Book Air -it worked. I just pulled out of the USB port of my Mac Book Air and attempted to attach a different USB mouse- it is not recognised by my Mac Book Air.

I put in again my son's gaming mouse in my Mac Book Air -it is not recognised either .

Try this. Plug either of these two mice (mouse's);) into your MBA...then reboot the computer. After rebooting...does the mouse work?

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, I am afraid.

Too bad.

I think that this tells us a few things:

1. I don't know the brand of these mice...but maybe there's some sort of questionable compatibility problem with Mac computers.
2. Maybe these mice have an issue with the OS version that is installed on the computers (expecially if the OS on 1 or both of these computers was updated or upgraded recently).
3. Maybe there's a 3rd party app. that's installed that's conflicting wiht the mice. Please don't ask what that could be. There are 1000's of apps out there.;)

If I was a betting person...I would probably put my money on #2. But this is no guarantee that's what it is. Just going with the statistics.:)

Bottom line. Since the problem is with both computers...I'm going to say the problem is software related...and not a computer hardware problem. Which is DEFINITELY the better of the two to have.:)

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA
Thank youagaig Nick for your valuable time.

I keep up to date with all available updates in both these computers. OS 10.9.5 with all updates.
My MAC Book Air hardly with any other apps other than stock-in that I mean only apple's Works and Aperture.
My son's is another story.

Now while I am reading your post left the basic USB mouse in my Mac Book Air and suddenly it has started to work!!

So I immediately unplugged it and put it on my Son's Mac book Pro and after 30 seconds it works on his too.
This basic usb mouse underneath written as Rating 5v=100mA whereas the gaming Mouse has 5VDC =150mA.
The gaming Mouse make is an Aula Varanus one bought over Amazon (nothing written on it except Gaming Mouse with a fire mark-made in China)

Thank you very much once again

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My MAC Book Air hardly with any other apps other than stock-in that I mean only apple's Works and Aperture.
My son's is another story.

Ha ha…yes kind of what I would expect. Your computer is relatively "spartan" in terms of installed apps…but your son's computer may be a "garbage dump" of app installs! lol;)

Believe it or not...this "diversity" of setups could help us explain things. Since in theory…your "spartan" setup should favor this USB mouse working…and not-favor working on your son's computer. Since this mouse or mice seem to have trouble working consistently on either computer…I'm more likely to think that the mouse is the problem.

If you had told me that both computer's recently had their OS version upgraded (for example 10.8 to 10.9, or 10.9 to 10.10)…then I would suspect the OS upgrade. But this doesn't seem to be the case.

By the way. Did these mice (either one) come with any install software…and if so…was it installed? Sometimes "gaming mice" (and non-gaming mice) do come with software…since sometimes they have extra features/buttons for gaming.

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA
but your son's computer may be a "garbage dump" of app installs! lol;)

Believe it or not...this "diversity" of setups could help us explain things. Since in theory…your "spartan" setup should favor this USB mouse working…and not-favor working on your son's computer. Since this mouse or mice seem to have trouble working consistently on either computer…I'm more likely to think that the mouse is the problem.

You are right there about my son who is 16 years old. When something goes wrong with computer tells me and expect an instantaneous answer and solution!! (I do not have a clue and come here to find an answer and help). You all are wonderful in that respect-in helping and finding a solution.

By the way. Did these mice (either one) come with any install software…and if so…was it installed? Sometimes "gaming mice" (and non-gaming mice) do come with software…since sometimes they have extra features/buttons for gaming.

- Nick

No there was no software came with the Mouse.

I tried this USB "gaming Mouse" on my desk top computer (Dell) -it was not functional.
Then I put in the standard USB mouse that I had tried earlier in the Mac Book Pro & MBA. As soon as it was on the desk top, mall window appeared to show drivers installed and soon the mouse is functional.

So I am sending back this "Gaming Mouse" back to the vendor.{Following your suspicion]

My delay in reply is due to our continent being divided by Atlantic!!-Sorry.

I will hopefully post back here if I obtain a new mouse and work on this Mac Book Pro on a future date (for the purposes of "closing the loop")

I do not want to start another thread for a mouse for this Mac Book Pro (2011).

Am I correct to ask another question in the same thread -can you suggest a Gaming Mouse compatible with this Mac Book Pro ?O:)

Thank you again Nick.:Blushing:

Regards

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When something goes wrong with computer tells me and expect an instantaneous answer and solution!!

I'm going to guess that if your son is like any other 16 year-old...that even if you do have an instantaneous solution…there's not much appreciation for that instant answer/solution. I WANT IT NOW!!!;) I guess if you get a quick "Thanks Dad"…consider yourself lucky!;)

Then the next thing will be …"Dad where's dinner?"…"Dad I want an iPhone 6." "Dad can I get a car?"!!!!;)

What you DON"T want to hear is…"Dad I got my girlfriend pregnant!"!!!!!!!!!!!!:(:(…..;)

My delay in reply is due to our continent being divided by Atlantic!!-Sorry.

No problems at all. We have lots of members from all over the world (UK, Europe, Asia, Australia, etc.). I know that the UK is 5 hours ahead of where I am. So after about 6pm my time (11pm UK)…I don't always expect to see many UK members till the next day (on my end).

Am I correct to ask another question in the same thread -can you suggest a Gaming Mouse compatible with this Mac Book Pro ?O:)

I would start another thread…with a good title. This thread started out as a "screen turned dark" problem thread. A new thread for the gaming mouse would have a different focus.:)

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA
This posts to inform as how got on with a new mouse on this Mac Book Pro (Late 2011 15" Intel i7)

Bought a new Logitech G602 Wireless Mouse. As soon as the WiFi dongle(? I hope I am correct in calling it dongle) the G602 mouse is recognised by Mac Book Pro.

I keep my fingers crossed!!!

Regards

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.