• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

student discount %

Reaction score
I am not far from buying a new imac for the wife and I (24"). My wife works at a university, and i am a full time student.

I know that there is a student discount available. Some people told my wife that it was 30% and I have heard that also, but we can only ever find 12-15% discounts when we check online. We have checked out the website at ouyr university.

Does anybody have any evidence to suggest what discount we might get? Obviously we would like 30% as that is a huge saving. I rang up the dude at apple and he said it was about 12-15% but then a friend (who is trustworthy) got a 30% discount.

Any advice would be really appreciated!

Thank you

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, bigbadnewill.

I have used edu prices for my Mac and the discount was around 10-15% on the hardware. I've always felt that the software has the best deals on it which can run up to 66% discount in certain cases.

I dunno, maybe your friend bought a refurbished Mac or a discontinued model? Ask him what were the circumstances, maybe you'll get to see why the discount difference here.

OP
B
Reaction score
Yeah, I was wondering if that was the case. The friend is trustworthy, but not the most computer literate etc if you get what i mean, haha. I will check out the stuff.

We're so excited to getting a mac, i just need to keep my wallet closed until the new one comes out, hopefully it'll be soon!!! I NEED A MAC, :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - 15.4" 1680x1050 Antiglare - 2.7Ghz Quad Core i7 - 8GB RAM - 750GB 7200RPM HDD
From my experience, different universities give different discounts. I got my macbook for 25% off plus 3 year icare. The university downt the road from me gives a 10% discount, so it may just be dependent on where you go and where your friend goes. Hope this helps some :)

Trent out

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz/2GB/CD
That's weird, I go to a university up in NY and the discount is the same as my friend who goes elsewhere. I thought it would also differ by school, but in our case, I guess not. Maybe it was just coincidence.

OP
B
Reaction score
I wondered if it would change for different universities etc, but i have heard that it is always the same too. Apparently my wife is speaking to someone at university about it tomorrow, so I will have to just wait and see!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
NOTE: Nothing to do with Hardware. Moved to more appropriate forum.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.