Stuck on OS X installation for months, need help

Reaction score
I only recently started using reddit as a forum service before this i never really found and answer to this problem any where I've been searching for months and my imac is just collecting dust :(
so this is the problem, i had OS mavericks and when the yosemite update came out i downloaded it and wanted to update, it went through the usual update cycle and the installation process, it goes to about 80% of the installation then this error shows up : http://imgur.com/HIxst5c
I have almost no knowledge about mac's technical issues and troubleshooting, so i do not know if this a big or a small problem and also i do not have a original os installation cd nor am i able to get out of this stage, please help me bring this thing back to life
thanks

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
How much free space do you have on your computers internal storage (gig's used & gig's free)?

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I only recently started using reddit as a forum service before this i never really found and answer to this problem any where I've been searching for months and my imac is just collecting dust :(
so this is the problem, i had OS mavericks and when the yosemite update came out i downloaded it and wanted to update, it went through the usual update cycle and the installation process, it goes to about 80% of the installation then this error shows up : Imgur
I have almost no knowledge about mac's technical issues and troubleshooting, so i do not know if this a big or a small problem and also i do not have a original os installation cd nor am i able to get out of this stage, please help me bring this thing back to life
thanks

Hello and welcome to the forum! :) There is not enough information given to even start making suggestions, plus the link is inconvenient, so I have done a screen capture and posted the image below.

SO, before getting started, please provide: 1) Your Mac computer model & year; 2) Amount of RAM; and 3) Hard drive capacity and free space (if known) - you are on Mavericks, so there are no optical discs (i.e. it was a download); also, system requirements for Yosemite HERE - you should have at least 4 GB RAM (despite 2 GB mentioned as minimum).

And just curious why you have waited 'months' before seeking help, either online or locally at an Apple store or certified Apple retailer (sorry, don't know where you live which may impact on your answer). Dave

Screen Shot 2015-03-13 at 12.19.40 PM.png

OP
K
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum! :) There is not enough information given to even start making suggestions, plus the link is inconvenient, so I have done a screen capture and posted the image below.

SO, before getting started, please provide: 1) Your Mac computer model & year; 2) Amount of RAM; and 3) Hard drive capacity and free space (if known) - you are on Mavericks, so there are no optical discs (i.e. it was a download); also, system requirements for Yosemite HERE - you should have at least 4 GB RAM (despite 2 GB mentioned as minimum).

And just curious why you have waited 'months' before seeking help, either online or locally at an Apple store or certified Apple retailer (sorry, don't know where you live which may impact on your answer). Dave
i have the 27" iMac I do not remember what year's model it is but i bought it in 2011 i think is the 4gig RAM version, 500 gb HDD with over half of it freeand i think i do meet the requirements.

It took me months coz i did not find a very responsive forum like this one and i live in india and this was actually imported at a local shop which does not exist anymore and apple store is wayy too far from where i live and the cost way too much than i can afford in my currency

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
so this is the problem, i had OS mavericks and when the yosemite update came out i downloaded it and wanted to update, it went through the usual update cycle and the installation process, it goes to about 80% of the installation then this error shows up...

Thanks for the hard drive info.:)

One question. I've read the part about this computer sitting for months collecting dust. If the Yosemite install didn't go so well…why not revert to Mavericks or reinstall Mavericks so at least the computer can be used rather than "collecting dust"?

This is the first thing I would do. Reinstall Mavericks…and get the computer back into operating condition.

Question 2. Do you absolutely NEED Yosemite? Only asking just in case you should continue to have problems.

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks for the hard drive info.:)

One question. I've read the part about this computer sitting for months collecting dust. If the Yosemite install didn't go so well…why not revert to Mavericks or reinstall Mavericks so at least the computer can be used rather than "collecting dust"?

This is the first thing I would do. Reinstall Mavericks…and get the computer back into operating condition.

Question 2. Do you absolutely NEED Yosemite? Only asking just in case you should continue to have problems.

- Nick
i never said i want it to have yosemite, i just want it back in working condition, heck it can even be with os it came(lion) i just want it to work if reverting it is a easier way to solve this please help me out with that

thanks for the replies

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i never said i want it to have yosemite…

Actually you did say you "wanted" Yosemite. Here's a quote from your first post:

...i had OS mavericks and when the yosemite update came out i downloaded it and wanted to update...

Key word here is "wanted". This is not really a big deal either way. But you did say "wanted".;)

In any case what you can do is…reboot the computer pressing the 2-key combination...command + r. This will boot the computer into the "Recovery Partition". You will be presented with a window with some choices…one of them being "Reinstall OS X".

This is what you want to do to get the computer working again.:)

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
Actually you did say you "wanted" Yosemite. Here's a quote from your first post:

Key word here is "wanted". This is not really a big deal either way. But you did say "wanted".;)

In any case what you can do is…reboot the computer pressing the 2-key combination...command + r. This will boot the computer into the "Recovery Partition". You will be presented with a window with some choices…one of them being "Reinstall OS X".

This is what you want to do to get the computer working again.:)

- Nick

I am extremely greatful for the reply, buuut i have a small new problem, the keyboard's batteries seem to have leaked and now the cap won't open :/ i tried nudging with a screw driver and all kinds of stuff but its in there hard, i do have a spare usb keyboard, idk if it'll work ill give it a try as soon as i find it

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am extremely greatful for the reply, buuut i have a small new problem, the keyboard's batteries seem to have leaked and now the cap won't open :/ i tried nudging with a screw driver and all kinds of stuff but its in there hard, i do have a spare usb keyboard, idk if it'll work ill give it a try as soon as i find it

Sorry to hear that. I have three Apple bluetooth keyboards…and exactly the same thing happened to me with one of them. I'm still working on it.;)

Just about any USB keyboard should work. Once you find yours…you should be in good shape to get things started.:)

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that. I have three Apple bluetooth keyboards…and exactly the same thing happened to me with one of them. I'm still working on it.;)

Just about any USB keyboard should work. Once you find yours…you should be in good shape to get things started.:)

- Nick

Im trying to use a logitech keyboard i had (windows version) it won't even recognise the key board :/

[EDIT] the keyboard seems to be working fine, but what keys do i replace cmd+r with ctrl+r? and and what point do i press or hold it?
thanks again

OP
K
Reaction score

- Nick

The keyboard worked, windows+r did the trick in reinstalling os the bar is at 95% but it says its installing additional content and has 41 minutes remaining, the 41mins remaining has been one for about 15 mins now

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The keyboard worked, windows+r did the trick in reinstalling os the bar is at 95% but it says its installing additional content and has 41 minutes remaining, the 41mins remaining has been one for about 15 mins now

I'm replying about 50 minutes after you made your last post. Hopefully the install is finished by now...and everything went ok!:)

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
I'm replying about 50 minutes after you made your last post. Hopefully the install is finished by now...and everything went ok!:)

- Nick

At first it did not go over the 41 mins for a while, but after a quick google search i found having more than 2 gb RAM was the issue, so i took one of my RAMs out and restarted, it installed perfectly and to my surprise it was on Yosemite: Imgur
so win win i guess :D

Thanks to you i brought this beauty back to life, you were of great help going one conclusion at a time, you're the best, stay awesome!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Excellent…great to hear that it's up & running! Too bad you didn't find us sooner.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.