stuck on "apple" screen!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
800/g4
i have been trying to update to 10.2.8, but software update wouldn't work. i finally got 10.2.5 downloaded from apple (downloaded 10.2.8 update but it wouldn't work). while installing the 10.2.5 update the "you need to restart you computer" screen came up so, i held the power button down until it went off and then turned the computer back on. now the computer won't boot past the grey screen with the apple in the middle. if anybody has any ideas as to what the problem would be please help!!!!!!!
thanx

C

Ciphex

well m8 kinda sounds like you had a kernel panic during installation. this leaves your machine in a very vulnerable and shaky state.

if i were you i would find my original install discs, choose to archive and install the OS fresh, and then go back and get any preferences you must have from the archived system.

Usually it would be a bad idea to try to go ahead using or fixing an installation that has experienced a panic during install. even if u manage to repair it... who knows what might happen at some unforseen random time... like when you are writing a paper, paying a bill, or video conferencing with that sexy college girl down the street and shes just about to ..... ok.. got caried away.

anyhow.. you get the idea.

~John

S

Shakermaker

Ciphex said:
if i were you i would find my original install discs, choose to archive and install the OS fresh, and then go back and get any preferences you must have from the archived system.

Before you go doing that, restart the machine and hold down Command+V to boot into verbose mode. It will change into Unix text instead of the nice Apple logo. When the hang occurs let us know what the last couple lines say. Methinks its trying to repair something...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.