Strangest Mic Problem

Reaction score
So I'm setting up my home "studio" and I'm having the weirdest issue with my mic (EV RE320). It works. I can record audio with it, if I use it on a stream or zoom call the other person can hear it, by every measure it works. The problem is, I specifically can't get it in my headphones.If I put on headphones (blu tooth or wired) I will hear every sound my computer makes except for the microphone. It also won't play through any outputs. I have my Mac hooked up to a soundboard and any sound I play goes right through the soundboard....except the mic. I've wrestled with this for 24 hours and am hoping someone can tell me how to fix it!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If I understand what you want to do correctly, the problem is that macOS does not support a function commonly referred to as soft play-thru without third-party software. See here for a summary. The page lists several of their apps that support this, but they may not work on your current OS. The recording software Amadeus Pro also supports this function.

Edit: The free recording program Audacity supports enabling software play-thru, and I'm sure there is other free software that does so, but I couldn't think of any last night.

Edit 2: I understand why you want this feature, but one problem I've had when using is that there is often a delay between when you say something and when you hear it in the headset. I find this very distracting. Please post back and let us know your experience.

Last edited:

krs

Reaction score
Like Slydude said - you need a third-party software for that.

Many moons ago I installed Soundflower to do that.

Haven't used it for along time, so I don't really know if you also get that delay that was mentioned.

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Thanks for the reminder. I've used that before as well. At one point I removed it for reasons I no longer remember.

Reaction score
So I'm setting up my home "studio" and I'm having the weirdest issue with my mic (EV RE320). It works. I can record audio with it, if I use it on a stream or zoom call the other person can hear it, by every measure it works. The problem is, I specifically can't get it in my headphones.If I put on headphones (blu tooth or wired) I will hear every sound my computer makes except for the microphone. It also won't play through any outputs. I have my Mac hooked up to a soundboard and any sound I play goes right through the soundboard....except the mic. I've wrestled with this for 24 hours and am hoping someone can tell me how to fix it!
yoooo!!!! Im experiencing the same thing now! This is crazy!
I can be seen, I can see, I can hear but cant be heard. Ive done everything I could think of that makes sense.

Reaction score
If I understand what you want to do correctly, the problem is that macOS does not support a function commonly referred to as soft play-thru without third-party software. See here for a summary. The page lists several of their apps that support this, but they may not work on your current OS. The recording software Amadeus Pro also supports this function.

Edit: The free recording program Audacity supports enabling software play-thru, and I'm sure there is other free software that does so, but I couldn't think of any last night.

Edit 2: I understand why you want this feature, but one problem I've had when using is that there is often a delay between when you say something and when you hear it in the headset. I find this very distracting. Please post back and let us know your experience.
the feedback thing is crazy. It lasts forever. I had to turn off the other device I was using to stop it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.