Strange Things happening

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro: 2.66ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 4gb Ram, ATi X1900 XT 512MB, 1TB HDD, 19" LCD
Last week or two some strange things have been happening on my mac.
Ive got a Mac Pro 2.66ghz, 2gb ram and the ATi card and i got it in Jan 07

First thing is load up time - i had a problem when i first got it that it took about 2 minutes to boot up.. this sorted itself out but now its starting to take a long time again but this time when i turn it (like this morning) it sits there with the blank white screen for about a minute before the apple logo appears.

Secondly the dock - happened a few times now its just stopped magnifying and doing the little bouncy thing, i have to restart in order to get it working again

thirdly - apps crashing, photoshop crashed one me 10 times last nite while doing work and safari about 5. Few other programs are also crashing on me aswell!

Any ideas what could be happening?

thanks

*EDIT* I have also noticed in the system pref at the bottom left an icon for de ja vu... never even heard of it let alone installed it. And if i try and click on it, it says it cant b opened on this computer..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Duo White
Repairing the permissions is not a end-all solution, although a good place to start. Have you repaired the permissions on your Mac lately?

Another sort of house keeping thing you can do is repair the hard-drive by booting up from the 1st install DVD.

Here is a web link for the use of FSCK: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106214

M

MacHeadCase

DejaVu is a component of QuarkXPress if you have it. And there's this backup utility that installed with another app (could be Quark?) but I just can't remember what it was. It is in my System Preferences anyhow and it has it's own pref pane just like yours.

The dock problem... Sounds like the Finder needs to empty its cache. If the restart didn't solve anything, try putting in the trash the Dock's pref file and restarting. Path is:

Macintosh HD -> Users -> Your User Account -> Library -> Preferences -> com.apple.dock.plist

OP
joe.morgan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro: 2.66ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 4gb Ram, ATi X1900 XT 512MB, 1TB HDD, 19" LCD
i ran onyx and mac janitor - restarted and it did the same with the white screen.. jsut sat there, but this time it wudn't boot into anything so i had to restart then it took about 3 minutes to get into osx.

i dont have quark, i haven't installed any new software since these weird things have happened, i have removed dejavu from the system pane and spotlight cant find any trace of anything to do with dejavu

the only thing that has recently changed was i opened a port in the firewal and router to download a number of torrent files from uni - could something have come in and effected my mac?

M

MacHeadCase

Hah! DejaVu installs itself with Toast! (Thanks you Adam!)

I knew it came with an app I bought a few months ago, just couldn't remember which one!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.