Strange occurance

Reaction score
I have an iMac running Yosemite. I have a GTech external hard drive formatted for mac only. I have Word 2011.

When I try to open a doc from the hard drive, it gives me an error saying its in use or has a bad file name or can't find it.

However, when I move the same file to my desktop, it opens just fine.

Any ideas.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Are you sure and have you checked that external drive is properly formatted and using the GUID format?? Disk Utility should show and give all the details.

Or maybe it's a quirk with Yosemite. ;)

OP
B
Reaction score
Are you sure and have you checked that external drive is properly formatted and using the GUID format?? Disk Utility should show and give all the details.

Yep.

Other files open from the drive: .pdf, .mov, .avi, etc

Reaction score
Actually it's the new update for office 2011 let me explain in maverick and in yosemite if you save your file to the desktop and not the external hard drive word will not open the file until it is returned to the desktop because word remembers where the file was at originally this is why its better to save to the external hard drive

OP
B
Reaction score
Actually it's the new update for office 2011 let me explain in maverick and in yosemite if you save your file to the desktop and not the external hard drive word will not open the file until it is returned to the desktop because word remembers where the file was at originally this is why its better to save to the external hard drive

Thanks. This leads me to a new problem. I can't save a new word doc to the hard drive. I get the following error.

There are no folders/files on the drive and the drive name is one word, no symbols.

Screen Shot 2014-12-12 at 11.25.00 PM.png

Reaction score
it might be word won't save to any drive formatted in fat 32

you might have to format it in mac os x extended i would try this as a experiment

format a usb thumb stick in mac os x extended and see if it saves to the thumb stick if it fails then it won't save to a external which is really stupid

OP
B
Reaction score
it might be word won't save to any drive formatted in fat 32

you might have to format it in mac os x extended i would try this as a experiment

format a usb thumb stick in mac os x extended and see if it saves to the thumb stick if it fails then it won't save to a external which is really stupid

I have tried FAT 32, exFAT and extended, all with no luck.

Tried two different usb drive, both worked as they should: saving and opening docs.

OP
B
Reaction score
just reformatted and now everything works normal. not sure what I did different this time than the last three times I did it but oh well, it works now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.