Strange Network Name

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 10.11.1, (Retina, 15-inch) 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 8 GB 1600 Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB
In my list of network connections a strange network name appeared called: "junkman22." I have no idea where this came from and I can't get rid of it. If I click on it to remove it it asks for a password of which I haven't a clue. Any suggestions on how to remove this thing? :Angry: Thanks!

Reaction score
What connection do you use WiFi or Cable connection? I think "junkman22" any user name and someone has locked it for. Henceforth it's asking for password. Did you share your network connection with someone?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
You may be seeing a neighbor's network.

OP
Gwaredd Thomas
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 10.11.1, (Retina, 15-inch) 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 8 GB 1600 Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB
What connection do you use WiFi or Cable connection? I think "junkman22" any user name and someone has locked it for. Henceforth it's asking for password. Did you share your network connection with someone?

I use a WiFi Connection and I didn't not share my network connection with anyone. My computer never leaves my house and I live in a rural area with only one other house close to me and that's about 400 yards.

OP
Gwaredd Thomas
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You may be seeing a neighbor's network.

As I said in another comment I live in a rural area with only one other house that's anywhere near me and that's about 400 yards away.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
I know...I read it the first time.

OP
Gwaredd Thomas
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Simply keep checking your thread and some experienced member will come along and give you words of wisdom and resolve your problem.

OP
Gwaredd Thomas
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Simply keep checking your thread and some experienced member will come along and give you words of wisdom and resolve your problem.

Will do. Thanks mate!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Don't worry about it. Using WPA2 Personal and not unsafe unsecure WEP? Make sure you are using a very strong password, say 13 numeric and alphabetical components, including a couple of capitals.

As I sit here in rural Australia I see no less than seven wifi networks other than my own.

M

MacInWin

What I did to get rid of extraneous WiFi networks was to open System Preferences, then Networks, then click on the WiFi network in the left hand column, then Advanced, then on the WiFi tab click on the one I wanted to remove and then click on the "-" at the bottom of that window. Never got prompted for any passwords, even for those WiFi that required a password. I'm running Yosemite 10.10.2.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I guess I'll have to ask, what Mac and OS are you using, but more importantly, where are you seeing the phantom network name???

Is it showing in the wireless menu drop down menu?
And if so, does it show a padlock beside it?

OP
Gwaredd Thomas
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What I did to get rid of extraneous WiFi networks was to open System Preferences, then Networks, then click on the WiFi network in the left hand column, then Advanced, then on the WiFi tab click on the one I wanted to remove and then click on the "-" at the bottom of that window. Never got prompted for any passwords, even for those WiFi that required a password. I'm running Yosemite 10.10.2.

Ah, but that's the rub. I've already done as you've suggested. The only problem is is that it's not displayed in the list so it can be removed. It's only displayed in the drop-down list of "Network Names" but not when the "Advance" button is clicked.

M

MacInWin

So, it's an "interface" name on the first page of Network? In that case you select it there, then click the "-" on that page and it should delete. You may need to give an admin password to complete the transaction.

OP
Gwaredd Thomas
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess I'll have to ask, what Mac and OS are you using, but more importantly, where are you seeing the phantom network name???

Is it showing in the wireless menu drop down menu?
And if so, does it show a padlock beside it?

OS X Yosemite
Version 10.10.2
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15 inch)
Processor: 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory: 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics: Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

Yes, it is showing in the wireless drop down menu.
Yes, padlock is displayed but locked. Also the WiFi connection only displays a half of a connection.

OP
Gwaredd Thomas
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So, it's an "interface" name on the first page of Network? In that case you select it there, then click the "-" on that page and it should delete. You may need to give an admin password to complete the transaction.

This is really becoming weird. I followed your instructions but this time when I clicked on Network Names it no longer displays. So I closed it out and reopened it and there is was again. The bloody thing keep popping-up then disappearing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
I would suggest not worrying as each and every restart it may well come back to haunt you.

OP
Gwaredd Thomas
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would suggest not worrying as each and every restart it may well come back to haunt you.

Geez, that's a pleasant thought. As of right now it's completely disappeared. I've always been a person who likes to be able to figure things out and how and why thing happen. Maybe I've run up against it. From what you wrote I won't be able to run it to ground.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan

… ...
Yes, it is showing in the wireless drop down menu.
Yes, padlock is displayed but locked. Also the WiFi connection only displays a half of a connection.

If the phantom name is not showing in your Network System prefs Wi-Fi advanced as a preferred network, which you can delete as suggested, then it just showing in the wi-fi dropdown as a convenience to let you know there's someone else and another wi-fi network.

But if it's your only neighbour 400 yards away, I'll bet it's not showing many black bars for any decent connection. ;)

And definitely nothing to be concerned about.

If it really bothers you, just turn off your wi-fi and connect to your router using an Ethernet cable. End of any problem. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
It isn't a problem. Network discovery is simply "seeing" the network as a potential connection. Since it seems the other network - Junkman22 - has a password there is no danger of your computer connecting. And as Harry said make sure you have your network set for WPA2 and AES security with a strong password and you will be okay.

The reason it will appear and disappear could be for a couple of reasons. You could be just at the end of the transmission range of the other network. Sometimes with the right conditions you will pick it up and other days you won't. Also they may turn there network off. Hard to say.

Lisa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.