Stop High Sierra - Updates Available nagging

Reaction score
I'm running Yosemite on an old Mac, but after installing, on each restart the Updates Available dialog appears in the top right corner of Finder and can't be dismissed. It tells me High Sierra is ready to install. What I've done to try to get rid of it is to turn off all options in System Preferences > App Store so nothing is selected. I've tried to right click in the Update button but nothing happens (I previously enabled Hide Update) but it still appears. I've checked the /Library/Bundles and /Updates and there's nothing in either. What other option is there? Is there a prefs file I need to alter to stop this or does Yosemite hide the OS Updates somewhere else?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Go into Applications and see if the Installer has been downloaded. If so trash it and the messages will stop.

OP
R
Reaction score
Oh - I see it now. Its actually downloaded onto a OS backup partition on my drive so that's why I didn't see it initially. Also, didn't expect it to be in apps! Thanks, it's so annoying.

Last edited:

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Give Harry the thumbs up reputation points for a swift and helpful answer, rustypixels.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And keep coming back rusty - lots of info here mate.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.