Stickies Won't Stay Stuck

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 Mac Book Pro 2.2 Ghz 4 GB RAM SSD OSX 10.11 & 2006 MBP Stuck At 10.6.8
Hi All!
On my wife's MacBook Pro using OSX 10.6.8 we're having a problem with Stickies.
That's the Stickies.app as opposed to the Dashboard stickies.

If I re-arrange the stickies in an order, when the computer is re-started, the order disappears. Also, resizing disappears. She has three users, and administrator and two other users. It happens on both of the two other users, but not the administrator. That account works fine.

I've tried taking stickies off the user's Log I Items and putting it back, repairing permissions, deleting the plist file.

Do you have any guess what is goofed up & how to fix it?
Thanks Very Much,
Paul
PS: We are having a preferences problem with Adobe Flash, too. I don't know if it's related to the Stickies problem as some sort of global preferences glitch. I'll put that problem in anther post.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz, 16GB RAM
Stickies was recently updated. Current version is 10.0 (1000) Which one are you using?

OP
PGB1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank You for your reply Biopunk
The computer has Version 7.0.0 of Stickies

Unfortunately, that is as new a version as I can get (as far as I can figure out). Software Update shows no updates. I believe Apple stopped giving updates for 10.6.8.

And, to make it more complicated, the computer is not eligible for any OS past 10.6.8 (Again, as far as I can find out).

Oddly, my MacBook Pro (Slightly newer model) also has 10.6.8 and Stickies 7.0.0 behaves very well on it. Wonder what file is goofed up on my wife's computer?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
The following may not work but it shouldn't hurt anything:
1. Log into her account on the problem computer.
2. Open theLibrary folder for that account and open the Preferences folder.
3. Look for a file called com.apple.Stickies.plist and drag it out of the folder to somewhere like the Desktop,
4. Log out of the account then log in again and test Stickies

If this works delete the old com.apple.Stickies.plist file you put on the Desktop. If it doesn't help you can put the old one back where it belongs.

OP
PGB1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank You Slydude for taking the time to reply & suggest.
Stickies are now staying stuck & new sticky notes are saved.

I followed your steps on each of the two profiles that had problems. (The administrator account Stickies was working fine)

On one of the two problem user profiles your suggestion worked great. Several log-out and log-in & restarts and it is still A-OK

On the other user profile, the steps worked after logging out & in, but not after a re-start.

So, I used Command-I to bring up the information for Stickies Database and the com.apple.stickies.plist file. On both, where the Sharing & Permissions access list is, there was an entry called "Everyone". Everyone had No Access. I tired doing Permission Repair. No luck. Next, I changed "Everyone"'s access to "Read-Write" on both the Plist & Stickies Database.

Now Stickies are staying stuck & new notes are saved. Even after re-starts.

I wonder who Everyone is?
I tried, but could not get him/her/them off the access list. I never noticed an Everyone on any file's Command-I before, so I looked around both my wife's and my computer. I guess I am half blind because Everyone is on all the various files I looked at.

Interestingly, on the administrator account, where Stickies is & was working, "Everyone" has No Access.

Thank You and Biopunk for helping get this fixed up.
Paul
PS: Now that I've spent some time with Stickies, I see that they could come in handy for forgetful people like me!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad that worked out. I've never really paid attention to the permissions on most files unless I am having issues.

Stickies have been around for a long time on the Mac. I don't use it nearly as much as I should.

OP
PGB1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The older I get- The more notes I leave myself. All I gotta do is remember to read them.

Way Off Topic--- (But funny)
When he got older & forgetful, my Dad used to have paper sticky notes for appointments, grocery shopping, etc. etc. all over every kitchen cupboard, bathroom mirror, car dashboard, desk, dresser, dishwasher- Everywhere! They would be 3 or 4 deep. Each was precisely written, dated, time stamped & detailed (My Dad was an engineer- A German one at that, so everything was quite precise & detailed.)

Once, in mid winter, I was losing my mind looking for the septic tank lid at my Dad's house. I could not find it, The nephew who was renting my Dad's house said "You will know it when you find it." I asked how? He said "There will be a sticky note on it!"

Months later, when prepping the house for sale, I removed the cover of the circuit breaker panel to do some repair work. Inside the door was a sticky note my Father left with precise measurement & triangulation details of where the septic tank lid was located. I laughed for half an hour. I visit my parents' graves when in their town. On this day's visit I left my Father a Thank You message- On sticky note paper, of course.

Thanks Again for helping me with the sticky note adventure. I learned new stuff about the computer and it is always a good day when I learn something new.
Paul

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Rotflmao My wife and I just had a good laugh at this.

My father-in-law was also an engineer. His habit of using notes was similar though it might have pre-dated sticky notes. He would take a sheet of paper and fold it into about sixths or eighths and fill each section with tiny writing. When one section was filled move to the next one.

Even in his later years his vision was better than mine. I have no idea how he wrote that small much less read it afterwards. Like your dad I think he kept that habit until his passing.

OP
PGB1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's Too Funny!
My Father used to do the same paper folding thing when I was a kid. How in the world could they write so small?

I wonder if that is a 'child of the depression era' frugality thing? (I learned in grade school that Germany was really bad in those times, just like the USA, but my Dad would never talk about the 'old country'.)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think you might be right about that being a depression era thing. I've known several people of that generation who did similar things.

I'm sure that as a kid you probably got the Christmas stocking filled with apples and oranges.:D Got that more than once from family friends as a kid. Probably appreciate it more now than I did then.

OP
PGB1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Holy Smokes!
You're bringing back fond memories! Apples & Oranges were always the contents of Christmas stockings at our home, too. I was always thrilled to find the oranges. They were a treat we never had during the year. The apples? Not so much. Daily dessert in our house was apples & cheese. (Always liked dinner at friends houses- Cookies!!!)

I'm still wondering about the Stickies problem and why I had to give "Everyone" permission in the Get Info pane. I am starting to think it is related somehow to the fact that many other programs on my wife's computer can not save preferences from two of the users. (At first I thought it was only Stickies, Adobe Flash & Safari, so I posed those questions here separately from this one. Now I'm finding lots of programs doing the same thing.) I wonder if it is a global ownership glitch??

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.