Static IP

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm having troubles Port Forwarding while using different programs (slsk/utorrent), so I was advised setting a Static IP. I searched around the internet, but nothing worked for me.
Sites I used:
Setting a Static IP Address in Mac 0S X 10.4 - PortForward.com
How to Set a Static IP Address in Mac OS X | Macinstruct
Beginner: How To Set Up A Static IP in Mac OS X
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm working on a MacbookPro running Yosemite.
My router is a Sitecom 300N. UPnP disabled. NAT / Port Forwarding enabled.
DHCP server disabled.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What I tried while on WiFi:
- System preferences > Network > Location (Automatic)
Wi-Fi is connected to S5 0014+81 and has the IP address 192.168.2.106
- New location called SIP
- Advanced > TCP/IP > Configure IPv4 > Manually
> IPv4 - 192.168.2.10
> Subnetmask - 255.255.255.0
> Router - 192.168.2.106
(Not sure what to do with DNS / Search Domains)
I'm getting a green light on WiFi, but it won't connect to the internet.

What I tried while on Ethernet:
- Pretty much the same as above, but not through advanced settings as that wasn't needed. DNS / Search Domains weren't available to change.
- After applying it states that; Ethernet is currently active and has the IP address 192.168.2.10, but just like on WiFi it won't give me access to internet.

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,

Martin

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
To set a static IP address go to System preferences -> Network -> select the connection you want to modify either wifi or ethernet -> Click on the Advanced button in the lower right corner of the box -> Click on TCP/IP tab at the top of the new window that opened -> Change the "Configure IPv4" from DHCP to Manually -> Now input your preferred IPv4 address in the now available box. I would NOT change anything else at this point since it should hold the subnet and gateway addresses it previously had.

One issue with doing this is if you modify your wifi you will not be able to take you Macbook Pro to other locations and have it automatically join new networks as the IP address may not work, the subnet may be different and the gateway will most likely be different. That is why DHCP is used - it does that all automatically. I would suggest you mess with the ethernet (cable) connection if you must.

Also why you need to do this for port forwarding escapes me. Port forwarding is handled through your router. I have helped set up port forwarding for various games and apps before and you do this in your router or what ever is handling your gateway to the internet. Usually you need the ports that the app needs open and then enter them into a page on the router. If you do not have access to your router changing your mac to a static IP will do nothing. I can't help you further as I do not know what specific ports, your make and model of the router, and if you have access to it.

Lisa

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply!

I did all this, that's what I meant with the "What I tried while on WiFi". I used a new location to try that, so the automatic location could still be used after it didn't work.

It was given to me as an advice to try and set a Static IP, it would help make my port forwarding easier. That's really the only reason I would set it to Static IP, but if you say it's not necessary at all to get the ports forwarded, I'll gladly stop and try a different way.

When using slsk for example, my server port is 2242 and my listening port is 55553. But they are always closed and I can't figure out why.

I use a Sitecom 300N X2 WL-341, got full access to it.
So there, I enabled NAT > enabled Port Forwarding and put in my Local IP. I set the Port Range to 55553-55554, but nothing happens.

Is this information you can work with?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
At this point I am not sure I can be of much help. Both sites are for illegal downloading - which I failed to notice initially. There are so many issues associated with that I can't begin to list them all. Besides the illegal part there is the issue of malware that is present. It is a pet peeve of mine, peer-to-peer downloading.

Sorry,
Lisa

OP
M
Reaction score
At this point I am not sure I can be of much help. Both sites are for illegal downloading - which I failed to notice initially. There are so many issues associated with that I can't begin to list them all. Besides the illegal part there is the issue of malware that is present. It is a pet peeve of mine, peer-to-peer downloading.

Sorry,
Lisa

I'm confused. You won't help me because of the programs I use it for? So if I make the same thread again without saying why I need to port forward, it's alright?

Martin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just for now - let's put the illegal potential aside. If you want to chance the level of malware you will be encountering that is your biggest threat. I know there is very very few mac viruses out there but there is plenty of hijacking malware.

I work in IT. I started a new job and the first thing I was hit with was huge issues from people using bearshare and a couple of other peer-to-peer programs. Yes, it was in a windows environment, it was illegal downloading, and as a result we had huge virus issues. It caused the network to slow to a crawl because the sharing software took up all the bandwidth. I had to implement policy (they had none in place) and clean up the problems.

That software is constantly contacting the mothership and that creates traffic. Add to that the chance for identity theft (see the news!) goes up exponentially. You are leaving your system totally open to attack and if you think all those people on those share sight are just legit safe people well......

Most port forwarding that I help with deal with remote repairing software or gaming online. You are asking me to help you open yourself up to a potential for all kinds of issues. I just can't.

Can you ask and relist your question - sure. And that is your prerogative. I am very aware there are others who will find no issue with this and that there are sites that will give you step-by-step how to's.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 2G 8GB, 3X iPhone 4 8GB, iPhone 4 32GB, iPod Touch 4G 16GB, iPhone 7 256GB, iPad 2, iPad Air
I would not talk about utorrent on here unless you are using it for something other than piracy
IT IS ILLEGAL

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 2G 8GB, 3X iPhone 4 8GB, iPhone 4 32GB, iPod Touch 4G 16GB, iPhone 7 256GB, iPad 2, iPad Air
Sorry Lisa Just read ur last post :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.