Staru Up probs

Reaction score
Can anyone help.

Running a G5 Powermac with OS X 10.4 and just downloaded latest security update to find thecomputer wont boot up past the blue screen. I'm not technically proficient so any solutions/ideas can you put them in easy terminology, ta.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
Without looking at the system logs it is difficult to predict the cause of this problem. However you can try one of the following methods to make sure that the updates are properly installed.

1) Start from the installation disk ("Usually, you can start from the disc by putting it in your computer, restarting, and holding the C key").

Using the "Disk Utility" tool, try to repair the Disk permissions & repair the disk.

Reboot and see if the problem is solved.

2) Start in single user mode.

In Terminal type softwareupdate -l and hit Return (This should list all the missing updates). If anything listed type sudo softwareupdate -i and hit enter (This should download and install all the missing or half completed updates)

Once everything is installed type reboot and hit enter.

3) If the both methods don't solve the problem try to reset PRAM.

Let us know if you still face any trouble.
good luck!

OP
L
Reaction score
Hi novicew

Unfortunately I can't get the cd drawer open on my G5 to get the disc in however tried single user and reset pram options, neither did the trick and still can't get into my computer (using my G4 iBook to send this). Any other ideas?

Thanks for your efforts

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.