Startup Disk Full? Why all of the sudden?

Reaction score
So I deleted A LOT of old files yesterday and went on to "Erase Free Disk Space" (To prevent recovery of previously deleted files without erasing the volume)... Sounded fine to me.
Out of nowhere, near the end of the process my Macbook Pro tells me my startup disk is near full and that I need to delete some random stuff.
What? Why? I just did, didn't I?

Today I discover some emotes on MSN are missing.

How do I fix this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Welcome to the Forum. Have you looked in HD at root level - what is the name of the big file that is taking up all the space? What OS are you on?

OP
P
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum. Have you looked in HD at root level - what is the name of the big file that is taking up all the space? What OS are you on?

( I know nothing about Mac's BTW...)

OS X- Version 10.5.8

Memory- 4GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM

I have no idea. My point was that I had just deleted old open office files and family photos and did the "Erase free disk space" thing and it told me I no longer had much memory available. Everything was fine before

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Sounds like the process of doing your clean up might have resulted in a corrupted file - perhaps as a first easy step download and install this and hope that sorts it.

and once that is sorted then good plan to look at back up issues - McBie gives some good parameters here

OP
P
Reaction score
The following disk images failed to mount.
MacOSXUpdCombo10. Not recognized.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Maybe repair permission 1st then try that download again..

Applications>Utilities>Disk Utilities

Click on your HD then repair permissions. Log out then back in then do the dl again ..

OP
P
Reaction score
Mkai, Ill try that right now. It'll probably take an hour or two D: This is painful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Yea cool but if you dl that combo update you will have the .dmg file still so dont dl that again ...
Repair permissions shouldnt take that long either .....

Reaction score
What worked for me

I have a 500GB macbook pro that was all of the sudden completely full. Following some advice on the forums, I downloaded OmniSweep - don't know how it worked because hard drive had 0 bytes available. Nonetheless, it identified for me that over 480 GB of the space was in the Mail Application in the form of recovered messages. I had linked three email accounts. As soon as I nuked those messages - not a problem because I have them in my original online accounts, it freed up all of that space. I just wanted to let someone know.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.