startup chime doesn't complete

Reaction score
Hi all,

iMac (24-inch, M1, 2021) Monterey 12.6.2

On startup, the startup chime doesn't complete. It is abruptly cut off, the white apple logo on black background disappears briefly, then comes up again, then the login fields appear and I can log in to my Mac.

Is this a symptom of something? Can it be fixed?

The computer works normally, it is a newly purchased refurbished machine.
Just updated to 12.6.2, no change.

Thank you for any input, best regards

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
OP
H
Reaction score
Thanks Ian for your answer.

Did as you suggested and the second restart (after activating the startup sound again) yielded a normal, uninterrupted chime!

So again, thanks a lot!
Best regards

(PS: the similar topic on apple forums is mine as well, but no reply there so I posted here…)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Thanks Ian for your answer.

(PS: the similar topic on apple forums is mine as well, but no reply there so I posted here…)
That's because they didn't have Ian on the case. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
That's because they didn't have Ian on the case. :)

Yep, he nails yet another problem with apparent ease... :app

And probably several others ready to offer a similar solution if needed...

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Isn't 'switch it off and switch it back on again' the best solution ever? Works on so many things.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Isn't 'switch it off and switch it back on again' the best solution ever?

It's great that Apple finally provided an option to have the startup time sound or not, but it would be even nicer if and when they ever provide an option to silence it after pressing the power On button if it happens to be already enabled.

Such an option is long overdue, especially for all portable laptops.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Isn't 'switch it off and switch it back on again' the best solution ever? Works on so many things.

Yep, works almost every time.
Don't just use Restart...

1df1td.jpg

Ian, what would be your treat for this last one...???
A nice Penderyn whisky or a good Welsh beer...???

- Patrick
=======

- Patrick
=======

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
The Penderyn Whisky is rather nice. I'm not much of a beer fan nowadays.

Ian

OP
H
Reaction score
Back with some info: the workaround suggested by Ian did work once, then the glitch came back.

A user on apple forums provided the explanation: when your iMac is on a general switch that you turn off after shutting down the computer, then the glitch happens next time you power on the switch, then the computer.

My iMac is on a power strip: if I leave the power strip turned on, no glitch when I start up the computer again.

So no fix but at least an explanation :)

Best regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So no fix but at least an explanation :)

I would definitely say you actually found the fix.

Turning off the power on the Power Bar Is akin pulling the Power Plug from a power receptacle, which is not a normal operation for how a Mac was designed.

So, Don't turn the power off with the power bar and your problem is solved I would say.

- Patrick
=======

OP
H
Reaction score
pulling the Power Plug from a power receptacle, which is not a normal operation for how a Mac was designed.

So, Don't turn the power off with the power bar

Mmmh, not sure I agree: turning off the power when you don't use an appliance saves what is called phantom energy, or standby energy.

Also I fail to see why a desktop computer would, by design, need to be constantly plugged in to a live power source when it's turned off.

But you are right, leaving the power on at all times seems to be the only way to avoid that startup glitch.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mmmh, not sure I agree: turning off the power when you don't use an appliance saves what is called phantom energy, or standby energy.

Also I fail to see why a desktop computer would, by design, need to be constantly plugged in to a live power source when it's turned off

I dare say you probably have several other appliances in your home possibly using "phantom energy" as well, and your computer probably does or may do several small things when it has Power available when it is not being used.

I don't know about the other appliances you may have and what they might do under the same circumstances.

At least it is a very small amount, but it certainly can and does accumulate when there are thousands upon thousands, if not millions, of the devices or appliances plugged in doing the same thing.

- Patrick
=======

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Also I fail to see why a desktop computer would, by design, need to be constantly plugged in to a live power source when it's turned off.

But you are right, leaving the power on at all times seems to be the only way to avoid that startup glitch.
Whether we agree or not with the design choice, desktop systems are built on the assumption that they are going to be connected to an outlet/power strip at all times.

This has been true for decades - even predating the modern practice of putting systems in sleep mode rather than shutting them off. I used to shut off my Apple II any time it was going to be off for more than a few hours and leave it plugged into the power strip. If power was lost to the outlet for any significant period of time, the system would complain when I restarted and the system date/time would be wrong because the PRAM battery had become depleted.

Corrected typo

Last edited:
OP
H
Reaction score
If power was lost to the outlet for any significant period of time, the system would complain when I restarted and the system date/time would be wrong because the PRAM battery had become depleted.
That makes sense. Internal battery for date/time. It hadn't occurred to me. Thanks for the explanation.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.