Start up question

Reaction score
I went to start my mac yesterday and after putting in my password, the screen went black except for the pointer in top left corner.
I could move the pointer with the mouse but nothing else happened for about 15 seconds, then the normal desktop appeared.
I ran the disc utility, and then did a basic Bitdefender check but nothing untoward came up.
Could this be a problem "starting"!?
The mac is pretty new and is running latest Sierra.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If this is the only time this happens I wouldn't be too worried. It wouldn't hurt to boot from the recovery partition, launch Disk Utility, then Run Disk First Aid. See here for directions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Did it only happen this once, or has it happened before or since? How full is the startup drive? Can you give more information about your Mac, like model and year, processor, ram, drive size and space used/free? How often do you restart or shutdown the Mac? Do you have any anti-virus or security software installed? I'm not familiar with Bitdefender, but I wouldn't use it.

M

MacInWin

Get rid of Bitdefender, you don't need it and it COULD be the source of the problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.