Start up issues, with Clock resetting to 1-1-2019

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro (2012), OSX 10.13 High Sierra
dear All,

I would like to repeat an issue that I had mention in another thread, but I don't seem to have received a response.

When I start Safari I get a msg saying you are not connected.

Then I get a msg saying your date and time is 1-1-2019 so Safari won't start.

Screen Shot your clock set incorrectly.png

I correct the date and time and then Safari works properly. This has happened a number of times over the past few weeks.
Ouch ... "

So WHAT is making the Date and Time reset to 1-1-2019??

Would appreciate your help.
Thanks
mukund

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
So WHAT is making the Date and Time reset to 1-1-2019??

Normally, I would say that it's a bad or weak PRAM battery but I don't believe your MBP uses one?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Date problems are a sure sign of PRAM power issues. The pre-unibody Macbook/Pro do not come with PRAM batteries. They instead use a capacitor. Sometimes these capacitors "freeze" after a duration of no current going through it after it has discharged. Sometimes, they can be brought back to life after repeatedly resetting PRAM on the MBP a few times.

Try resetting PRAM a 5-10 times in a row and see if it helps.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Ferrarr and Iggibar, for your replies.
I have given the MBP to a repairer.
He says it is a battery issue.
The battery I had bought (for $250) from Amazon.com is a perfect fit and recommended for this model, but it is not an ORIGINAL Apple battery. Consequently the Battery details indicate "No battery" and also the Battery charge cycles, and the Battery condition icon do not display.

I will be getting it back next week, and giving it to an authorised APPLE repair shop.

krs

Reaction score
The battery I had bought (for $250) from Amazon.com is a perfect fit and recommended for this model, but it is not an ORIGINAL Apple battery.

$250 for a replacement battery sounds awfully expensive.
This one sold by OWC is less than $100.- and being from OWC it should work perfectly with the Mac including battery cycles, condition, etc.
Replacement Battery for MacBook Pro 15-inch (2011-2012)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan

+1!!!

But neither does that Mac use that battery to hold the PRAM (Date & Time) settings AFAIK.

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

It would be expensive if the OP was living in the US or Canada, but since he lives in western India, the prices are probably quite inflated. ;)

krs

Reaction score
I actually looked at the location before I posted, but Pune didn't mean anything to me and I didn't feel like googling.
Besides, the battery was bought on amazon.com, so it seems shipping was more than the price of the battery.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Ferrarr and Iggibar, for your replies.
I have given the MBP to a repairer.
He says it is a battery issue.
The battery I had bought (for $250) from Amazon.com is a perfect fit and recommended for this model, but it is not an ORIGINAL Apple battery. Consequently the Battery details indicate "No battery" and also the Battery charge cycles, and the Battery condition icon do not display.

I will be getting it back next week, and giving it to an authorised APPLE repair shop.
Hi guys
Im back after a long break.
First of all I would like to thank all those who offered help with this and other problems that I had posted on this forum during May and June.

My service company fixed a new battery and Im pleased to inform you that my MBP works perfectly well now.
Also, for your information i had to pay only InR 6000 for the battery which is US$ 80/- :)

I already have some issues that I need help with and I am posting them in the appropriate category
Cheers
Mukund

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.