Start-up apps

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel IMac
Still new to Macs and I have a question. When I look at my startup apps, there appear to be quite a few there. Which ones are critical to starting the OS? I would like it to load as quickly as possible.

I have a 20" Intel iMac with 1g ram and Tiger. Any idea's? I can add a list of the apps in the start up list if it would help.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
None are critical... Just handy.

I have mine set to "startup" with Safari, Mail, and quicksilver...

It just makes it so that the apps you normally use a lot are "ready and waiting" when you login.

Welcome to the forums!

OP
tajota2004
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel IMac
Here a screen grab of my startup items list. I really don't know what any of these are for, any help?

startup.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Hey folks, I think tajota is talking about the System's "Startup Items", not the User's "Login Items"...

The middle column tells you what they are for. But I don't think I'd mess with any of those. The OS is really good with sleeping processes that are not in use. And some functionality may be cross linked with other things.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, on second though...

You can remove...
Apache if you'll never serve a web page
AppleShare if you'll never share a file
FibreChannel if you'll never use fibre
PrintingServices if you'll never print
RemoteDesktopAgent if you'll never share your screen remotely

But the rest... definitely keep.

D R

Reaction score
So, I'm wondering how to look at those items. I can find the user login items with no problems, but how about the system startup?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
We are referring to the Login items.... The OP simply referred to them as "Startup items". Same thing. :D

Reaction score
Tajota, I had assumed you had meant the log-in items until I read giulio' post, because until OS X, log-in items were called startup items, and because what are now called the startup items are off-limits to mere mortals.

Apple has isolated the system folder — or has tried to — from accidental deletions, additions and modifications, so the Mac's foundations can't be damaged by inexpert and unskilled users and by the type of internet malware that's the bane of the Windows world.

If you open one of the folders inside the System's Library folder to see the icons inside, then hide the toolbar on the left by clicking the button on the top right of the window, you'll see a read-only icon at the top left of the window — a pencil with a line through it.

You'd have to defeat the safeguards to change any of those files, and you might damage the system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
We are referring to the Login items.... The OP simply referred to them as "Startup items". Same thing. :D

Nah... did you see his screen shot? That's not the login items panel... is it? Attached is what mine looks like. Also, the items he/she mentioned are not programs, they're services/daemons.

Picture 1.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro w/ 2.4 GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB
To awaken this thread, I was wondering about these. If I go in and delete any of these items, will it mean that I can't use any of these services in the future, or will it just mean that they won't start when I login?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In order to use those services again, you'd have to put them back in the startup items folder and restart (or logout/in - depends on how the item works).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.