SSD & Yosemite Downgrade to Mountain Lion

Reaction score
Hello Guys!

How are you doing?
Happy New Year!

I have a MacBook Mid 2012 13.3 Inch. Ever since i have upgraded to Yosemite my machine has become exceptionally slow and sluggish. Takes more than 5 minutes to boot up. I want to roll back my OS to Mountain Lion from Yosemite and upgrade my hard drive to an SSD. How can i downgrade and install an SSD and backup all my data.

Thanks!

C

chas_m

You can't downgrade the OS*, and since Yosemite isn't actually the problem (I'm writing this on a lightning-fast mid-2012 MacBook Pro 13-inch), downgrading wouldn't actually fix whatever the real issue is anyway.

Upgrading to an SSD is pretty easy, however. You simply need to make a backup of your drive to an external hard drive using Time Machine or your preferred clone program (I like Carbon Copy Cloner or Chronosync), or (if you like to live on the edge), just remove the old hard drive, put it into an external USB 3 enclosure (your machine has USB3 and it will make a HUGE difference), install the SSD and then boot from the external "old" drive and clone it over. I say "live on the edge" because without a backup there is a risk that you can't get that to work and then you'll be up a certain stinky brown tributary without proper means of locomotion.

*Unless you happen to have previously made a bootable copy of the Mountain Lion installer on a USB drive, I suppose, but even then you'll have to wipe the drive to make that work, and I generally don't recommend it.

OP
H
Reaction score
Hey Chas,

Thanks for the help. I have Windows Ultimate 64 Bit running on the machine through BootCamp. I want to uninstall Windows 7 how can i do that? Please guide me. Do you think it is the Windows 7 which has slowed down the machine?

Thanks,

Humayun

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I doubt that Windows 7 has slowed your machine down since it seems you're running slow even when booted to OS X. How much free space is remaining on your OS X partition and how much system memory do you have installed? And the correct way to remove Windows 7 is to use the Boot Camp assistant from OS X.

OP
H
Reaction score
100 Gb for Windows 20 Gb remaining free. 400 Gb for OSX 280 Gb remaining free. 4 Gb Ram. Should i upgrade to 8 Gb or 16 Gb memory?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Yes indeed upgrade to 8GB. Mavericks and Yosemite prefer more memory as they are bits of hogs. Uninstall Windows by going into BootCamp Asistant and it will ask if you want Windows removed. Follow instructions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.