SSD Hard drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2.26ghz MacBook 6,1 Late 2009 250GB HD 8GB ram, Mavericks, 30GB Ipod Video, 16GB Iphone 5 ;-)
I'm thinking of upgrading my hard drive to SSD and use the original as a backup drive for time machine.

Does Crucial have good reliable SSD? Their rams are excellent but I've never used any of their SSD before. Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Does Crucial have good reliable SSD? Their rams are excellent but I've never used any of their SSD before. Thanks.

We usually recommend Crucial or OWC for memory. As for SSDs, I believe OWC makes the best ones.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 MBP 13 Retina
I have several Crucial SSDs. I have both the newer MX200 and BX100 Crucial drives. I am very happy with both. Even my old Crucial M4 is still going strong. I also have an older Corsair SSD. That one has given me a few small troubles over the years. I really like the Crucial drives though. As chscag also suggested, OWC has good drives too. OWC is definitely the way to go if you have a newer Macbook with a drive that isn't the standard 2.5 inch laptop drive.

Either option you go with will make you're 2007 Macbook feel like new again :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 MBP 13 Retina
Also recommend OWC. Have had inquiries on the forum about the latest SATA III 6Gb/ps SSDs not being compatible with pre 2009 Macbooks so suggest you look at a SATA II which is backwards compatible with SATA, the speed of your MacBook, if we are talking about the machine in your avatar.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/internal_storage/SSD/Mercury_Electra_3G_Solid_State

Don't quote me, but I believe that was related to older MacBooks trying to run early generation SATA III SSDs with older Sandforce controllers. I know Crucials new SSDs run Marvell controlers.

Last edited:
OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2.26ghz MacBook 6,1 Late 2009 250GB HD 8GB ram, Mavericks, 30GB Ipod Video, 16GB Iphone 5 ;-)
Also recommend OWC. Have had inquiries on the forum about the latest SATA III 6Gb/ps SSDs not being compatible with pre 2009 Macbooks so suggest you look at a SATA II which is backwards compatible with SATA, the speed of your MacBook, if we are talking about the machine in your avatar.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/internal_storage/SSD/Mercury_Electra_3G_Solid_State

Sorry for the confusion but I'll be buying this ssd for a macbook 6,1 late 2009.

OWC has 240gb with a bundle for $124. Not bad.

Is it recommended to go with SATA II?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 MBP 13 Retina
Sorry for the confusion but I'll be buying this ssd for a macbook 6,1 late 2009.

OWC has 240gb with a bundle for $124. Not bad.

Is it recommended to go with SATA II?

$124 for a 240GB SSD sounds a bit expensive. BX100 is only like $80. Check out the reviews. A lot of good reviews with people running 2009 MBPs.

If you're on a 2009 unibody MBP, just get a SATA III SSD. The SSD will be bottlenecked by your MBP SATA II interface though. Also, I believe both OWC and Crucial SSDs have matching 3 year warranties.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
$124 for a 240GB SSD sounds a bit expensive. BX100 is only like $80. Check out the reviews. A lot of good reviews with people running 2009 MBPs.

If you're on a 2009 unibody MBP, just get a SATA III SSD. The SSD will be bottlenecked by your MBP SATA II interface though. Also, I believe both OWC and Crucial SSDs have matching 3 year warranties.

OWC doesn't recommend the SATA3. They said the speeds are 2x less compared to a SATA2. Thats a considerable difference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 MBP 13 Retina
OWC doesn't recommend the SATA3. They said the speeds are 2x less compared to a SATA2. Thats a considerable difference.

When you click on Macbook Pro 6,1 on the OWC website model selector, it comes up with the Mercury Electra 6G model which is a SATA III/6.0Bb/s SSD. A SATA III drive will work fine in your Macbook whether its something like that Crucial BX100 or the OWC Mercury Electra 6G SSD. But again, a SATA III drive will be bottlenecked by your earlier generation interface.

OWC is just pricey for what you get.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 MBP 13 Retina
SORRY! I just realized you have a Macbook 6,1 not a Macbook Pro 6,1. So the OWC site does recommend the Mercury Electra 3G SATA II SSD. Either way, something like the newer Crucial BX100 SSD would still work (you just want to avoid early Sandforce controller SSDs). If you are worried about it not working, there is nothing wrong with getting the recommended OWC Mercury Electra 3G SSD.

Now if you were to order the Crucial drive on Amazon and for some reason it does work, just return it. If it works fine (which it should), you saved some decent money :)

Last edited:
OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
SORRY! I just realized you have a Macbook 6,1 not a Macbook Pro 6,1. So the OWC site does recommend the Mercury Electra 3G SATA II SSD. Either way, something like the newer Crucial BX100 SSD would still work (you just want to avoid early Sandforce controller SSDs). If you are worried about it not working, there is nothing wrong with getting the recommended OWC Mercury Electra 3G SSD.

Now if you were to order the Crucial drive on Amazon and for some reason it does work, just return it. If it works fine (which it should), you saved some decent money :)

Thanks for your help :)

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I bought the crucial bx100.

Do I need an enclosure to initialize the ssd? Or can I install it in the mac first and run disk utility?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
We knew all that azboomer and enjoy the SSD Realest99.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 MBP 13 Retina
I bought the crucial bx100.

Do I need an enclosure to initialize the ssd? Or can I install it in the mac first and run disk utility?

I would try putting in the new drive then booting while holding the option key. That should bring you to OS X Utilities where you can find Disk Utility. See if you are able to initialize the disk there.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would try putting in the new drive then booting while holding the option key. That should bring you to OS X Utilities where you can find Disk Utility. See if you are able to initialize the disk there.

Yah I'll try that. Also thanks for your help, everything you said was spot on. I've done my research. Almost went with the bx200 but it had mixed reviews and uses a TLC Nand.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.