SSD disconnects when moving data

Reaction score
Hi, i have a problem with my SSDnow 300. I used it as my startup disk inside my macbook pro and never had any problems. Yesterday i bought a bigger one and moved the SSDnow 300 to the location where my superdrive was so i can have two SSD's inside my Macbook pro. The problem is that when i try to move a chunk of data (12GB) from the startup SSD to the SSD now 300, the 300 disconnects and the operation doesn't succeed. I guess from the forums i read that it's a power issue or something and i wonder if there is a solution

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

How are you moving the data across? Cloning, Migration Assistant, drag and drop?

C

chas_m

I have two SSDs in my mid-2012 MBP with no issues. It sounds like you did not get the proper cradle for the drive or did not ensure it was securely fastened, causing it move around and come loose from its connection. Check the instructions on iFixit.com and re-do the installation of the superdrive SSD if necessary.

OP
L
Reaction score
I had a normal HDD in there for a year and just swapped it for a SSD. The SSD worked fine until i try to move big chunks of data on it and disconnected, that's why i assumed it could be related to heat issues from hints i got from forums. I guess i'll try to update the firmware for a start. Thanks for the answer, appreciate it.

Reaction score
I had similar on my "early 2011" MBP. I was using a cheap bracket and all was fine. I changed drives (not SSD) but the same issue with large files. I gambled and spent the extra $$ for an OtherWorldComputing bracket. No problems since. I assume quality of fit and finish plus better components/controllers of the OWC is the answer.

Also, I seem to recall there's some information somewhere on their site about some MBPs not handling secondary drives equally.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.