spotlight is blind to some folders?

Reaction score
a folder such as : boot drive/users/me/library does not turn up in a spotlight and neither will any contents of "library".

is there some preference i can change to make spotlight "see" everything?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Spotlight automatically excludes library and system files from its results if I remember correctly. I presume Apple wants to reduce the chance that users will find and delete or otherwise alter system files. Doing so can cause your Mac to become unstable/inoperable until the problem is fixed.

Check here for workarounds if you must search for those files Hide & Find Any File On Mac OS X

C

chas_m

a folder such as : boot drive/users/me/library does not turn up in a spotlight and neither will any contents of "library".

is there some preference i can change to make spotlight "see" everything?

In this case, however, the fact that spotlight doesn't do searches inside system folders isn't the problem: the problem is that the User Library is hidden, and Spotlight doesn't search invisible folders.

The reason its hidden was alluded to by Sylvester: it's not a folder you need to be in.

But if for some odd reason you absolutely must locate it, simply use the "Go" menu from Finder and hold the option key down. There it is.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.