spotlight doesnt fnd anything

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook C2D 2.0ghz, 2GB ram, 80 Gig HD
ive just tried using spotlight for the first tme after reading about it in my "mac missing manual " book. but it doesnt find anyhting at all, even if i type words form documents or applications i know i have got it doesnt find them..

why is this? i think i used it a few weeks ago without really knowing what it is and it worked.
i checked the settings and it says it is searching for everything.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
ive just tried using spotlight for the first tme after reading about it in my "mac missing manual " book. but it doesnt find anyhting at all, even if i type words form documents or applications i know i have got it doesnt find them..

why is this? i think i used it a few weeks ago without really knowing what it is and it worked.
i checked the settings and it says it is searching for everything.

Is your Mac relatively new? If so, Spotlight might not have had a chance to index the particular directory your document is stored in. This indexing process happens automatically in the background and it can take several hours for it to completely finish the process.

Also, be aware that Spotlight does not search in 'hidden' and 'system' directories. To do so, you'll need a tool like EasyFind, which will actually dredge the entire disk instead of simply consulting an index.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook C2D 2.0ghz, 2GB ram, 80 Gig HD
Is your Mac relatively new? If so, Spotlight might not have had a chance to index the particular directory your document is stored in. This indexing process happens automatically in the background and it can take several hours for it to completely finish the process.

Also, be aware that Spotlight does not search in 'hidden' and 'system' directories. To do so, you'll need a tool like EasyFind, which will actually dredge the entire disk instead of simply consulting an index.
no, its about 5 or 6 weeks old. and as i say i tried searching forthe simplist of things with no joy, such as a pages document in my documents.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.