Splitting Audio Files?

Reaction score
Hey all...
I've got one long mp3 file (~an hour) that I'd like to split into multiple tracks (it was a concert), but don't know what software to do it with...any reccomendations? Also, if someone could provide a walkthrough, that'd be much appreciated, audio editing is not my forte.

cheers, calvin

Reaction score
GarageBand will do that for you. Import the mp3 (if you have iLife '06 then there's a media browser built into GB) and highlight it and drag the play head to the point you want to split the large file and either go to the Edit menu and choose "Split" ... or press Command + T. Just repeat this at every point where you need to split the larger file.

When you are finished just highlight a section and export to iTunes. Repeat until you have exported all the smaller files. Depending on your importing settings in iTunes, you will either end up with AAC or Mp3 files.

Reaction score
Spin doctor, which is part of Toast Titanium will also allow you to do this.

Quite simple to use and you can set the transition between tracks to whatever you like when burning audio disc in Toast

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.