Speed comparisons between Single & Dual 1.8Ghz?

Reaction score
I was wondering if there is a comparison between a PowerMac 1.8Ghz vs. Dual 1.8GHz for DVD encoding? I use a 2.8Ghz P4 currently to rip my DVDs with DVD Decrypter then recompress them with DVD shrink so I can burn them on DVD-R media. I’m afraid to check my e-mail or launch Firefox in fear of screwing up the encoding process. So, I have to wait until everything is done. I hate tying up my whole computer.

I want to get a Mac but I have been looking between iMac G5 20”, PowerMac 1.8Gz, and Dual 1.8Ghz. I know that Apple is going to release Tiger OS soon (hopefully in April) and update their G5 systems.

My question is to current owners of these systems. What’s your experience with them? Which Mac apps are best for ripping and compressing? I think it would be great if I could run Photoshop CS and encoding a DVD in the background with no worries.

TIA.

Reaction score
DVD encoding, I've heard from someone (and also searched around online a minute ago), that on a dual machine, DVD encoding is ALOT faster on a dual G5 than on a single. And if i were you, i would get the powermac if you could afford it. It's more upgradable and will last more than an AIO (all in one) system. And by the way, load up on ram , OS X likes it ;)

Reaction score
A PowerMac dual 1.8 gives a lot of bang for the buck. I would recommend it over the iMac, even though i love the iMac, as it is more powerful and a lot more upgradeable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2011 MBP 13" i5

I went with the single proc powermac for many reasons. One was that the single was $500 cheaper. The next is that I was unimpressed with the amount of programs that are actually optimized to use the dual processor. With both of these machines going back to back, the single is a much better option for the average user. The duals seem like a waste of money unless it's a 2.5 and you're doing some serious number crunching or video rendering. Check out the benchmarks at barefeats.com to see what I mean. The powermac single has the same memory capacity, expandability, features, options etc etc. that the dual has but just one less processor. From the benchmarks I've seen I dont think that the duals are a justifiable purchase option. My own opinion of course..

OP
M
Reaction score
Texasmeat said:
I went with the single proc powermac for many reasons. One was that the single was $500 cheaper. The next is that I was unimpressed with the amount of programs that are actually optimized to use the dual processor. With both of these machines going back to back, the single is a much better option for the average user. The duals seem like a waste of money unless it's a 2.5 and you're doing some serious number crunching or video rendering. Check out the benchmarks at barefeats.com to see what I mean. The powermac single has the same memory capacity, expandability, features, options etc etc. that the dual has but just one less processor. From the benchmarks I've seen I dont think that the duals are a justifiable purchase option. My own opinion of course..

That is my concern as well as my wallet. Do I really need a dual? I wondering if it will be to my benefit. I'll check out barefeats to see what they say. I was hoping someone with a Dual could tell me their experience.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2011 MBP 13" i5

Well, what you use it for will determine what you need. If you're heavily into video editing, then I would recommend the dual 2.0ghz. If you're an occasional video editor with some photoshop files every now and again, then save yourself the money and get the single. I have mine and I cant think of a faster machine. I have a windows machine (3.2ghz p4) and the mac is much faster and peppier in every aspect. My 2 cents....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.