Special characters for Spanish

Reaction score
Hi.
I try to type the special characters á, í, ó, ú, é for Spanish but I can't. I follow the instructions in System Preferences > International, but nothing happens.
I know it may sound silly, but please help!
Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
The accent's are next to the p key. begin by typing the correct accent then the letter to be accented. You'll notice when using the spanish keyboard that the accent key when pressed will highlight the current space. Theis allows you to enter the vowel below the accent.

Be sure you are actually using the spanish keyboard. Select show input menu from the international system preference. Make sure you see the spanish flag.

M

MacHeadCase

What you can do as well is to activate the Keyboard Viewer in the System Preferences, in the International pref pane under the Input Menu tab (at least that's where you find it on a Panther machine like I am using at present at school).

This keyboard viewer will appear whenever you click in your menubar, on the keyboard language button and you'll see where the keys are when you hold down either Option or a combination of Option + Shift. See the attachment...

Another way I found that suits me well is I bought myself a license of PopChar X which I find most useful and have been using it for years (ever since my OS 8 days, I think). It's great when you don't use a US keyboard layout.

Reaction score
¡ opt-1
¿ opt-shift-/
á opt-E A
Á opt-E shift-A
é opt-E E
É opt-E shift-E
í opt-E I
Í opt-E shift-I
ñ opt-N N
Ñ opt-N shift-N
ó opt-E O
Ó opt-E shift-O
ú opt-E U
Ú opt-E shift-U

(adapted from jneuhaus.com)

I'm going to assume you can figure out "ch," "ll," and "rr" on your own. :ninja:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.