spam warning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
I got two now for topics that were on topic... just because I posted links. the links were NOT my site and were on topic. that isnt spam last time I checked.

whos in charge here? Id like to speak with them. cwa107 got me twice on this and it's not right. it is not spam last time I checked the definition.

are links allowed or not? if their on topic how is it spam/???? and it's not a link to my personal site. so ***?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
What you posted does count as spam based on our rules. Once a mod tells you not to do something, the best approach isn't to do it again, but instead ask for clarification.

But as I stated, yes, what you posted would count as spam or advertising based on our forum rules. You're free to disagree, but if you choose to post here, I would ask that you follow the rules here.

OP
macgig
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
im fine with rules, but looking at the rules in a mods sig

Spam: No Soliciting / Adverstising / Spamming. This includes advertising for your own site or forum. Use the Buy, Sell, or Trade forum for all private sales.

I was doing none of the above. the topic was cars, and I posted saying that any car with no payment is my favorite car. then I posted a link to a radio talk show host that teaches why car payments are a bad idea. so I was at least on topic in part. :)

again, I don't feel like I spammed because I don't do that on forums. at least no on purpose. the site I linked to was not mine.

But like a former boss of mine said, "it is what it is".

TGIF!!! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2015 MacBook Pro Retina / 15" 2010 MacBook Pro
I can not agree with macgig more. All he did was post a link that was totally related to what he said, and to the topic itself; why would that be considered spam? It's not like he posted a link to his own blog where he has naked pictures of himself or something? I was a moderator in a successful forum once, and I am a moderator in another one now, but it's related to an online game so it doesn't really matter to any one here. I guess you should take back your warnings, Mr. cwa107, because they are unnecessary, inaccurate, and aimless.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Thank you for your feedback, but no, your interpretation is incorrect.

Feel free to run the forum you have any way you'd like to, however, we have long established forum rules and manage this forum using the approach we've chosen to take.

OP
macgig
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I still feel like I didn't spam, but the rules on spamming (vague as they are) are still rules, and it's not my forum.

I have joined and used many forums over the last 17 years (some mac, some not) and I've never been accused of spamming while on topic (except here).

it's a first for sure.

warning to others: if your talking cars, and post "a paid for car is best", by all means do not post a link that shows why car payments are a bad idea. you'll get marked as a spammer here for it. :)

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i would have to agree actually, i think the logic likening a link such as that to spam is a bit dubious.

what would be the difference if i made a post in the "what do you drive" thread about a car i was considering purchasing and posted a link to a comparison between said car and another, or simply to a review or the manufacturer's site.

or, as is the case right now with a thread offering help for those wanting to write to NTFS partitions from a mac - there is a link to a place where you can purchase software to do exactly that.

and then there's the dude who actually has his website as part of his name - MikeYMS (who i think has been a fine member), who posts offers and links. if that isn't in direct conflict with the rule "Spam: No Soliciting / Adverstising / Spamming. This includes advertising for your own site or forum. Use the Buy, Sell, or Trade forum for all private sales." then how could what macgig posted be?

OP
macgig
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
there are also people here with links to personal site where they are selling stuff too in their sigs. go figure. Oh well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2015 MacBook Pro Retina / 15" 2010 MacBook Pro
Feel free to run the forum you have any way you'd like to, however, we have long established forum rules and manage this forum using the approach we've chosen to take.

I can assure you that the rules in this forums are fair, but some how the warnings he got were just not in place. As both of them said, several people post even 'PERSONAL' websites and they break free with no warnings, I read that some of them even have personal websites in their own signature, don't you think that's a bit too 'against the rules'? Anyhow, I am sorry for interfering in this, but I guess I had to say something about it because I feel bad for the guy. Good luck anyway, try to be a bit lenient next time, and please double check the facts before warning.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
Now, I was under the impression that if you had an issue with something the Mods did or said, or whatever, that you should take that up with them in private rather than out on the forum in public.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Now, I was under the impression that if you had an issue with something the Mods did or said, or whatever, that you should take that up with them in private rather than out on the forum in public.

Exactly. We're done here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.