Sound when starting an iMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014
I recently bought an iMac running OS Yosemite and would like to know if the sound which occurs when booting the system can be either changed or deleted? It's just a really naff sound which seems to serve no useful purpose - or maybe I'm missing something?
Any help with this would be appreciated.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I assume that you are referring to the "bong' that occurs almost immediately after powering up the Mac?

That sound means that the Mac has passed a series of basic hardware tests. If the sound were different it can be an indication of problems. I don't remember the other current sounds but at one time bad memory chips/memory problems might cause a sound like glass breaking.

How To Disable Your Mac's Startup Sound - Make Tech Easier

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014
Hi Slydude
Yes, that's the sound I was referring to. Thanks for the explanation - I hadn't found any reference to this in the manual but now you've explained it I think I'll live with it. I did consider the option in the link you sent but if I kill the sound now then I won't know if a hardware fault occurs in the future.
I realise I'm a complete newbie to the Mac, asking such a basic question, but thanks for taking the time and trouble to reply.
Robert

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Good decision Rob. Nothing better than that 'all's well' chime.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Hi
I realise I'm a complete newbie to the Mac, asking such a basic question, but thanks for taking the time and trouble to reply.
Robert

Basic questions are what I do best. I save the difficult stuff for Harry:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi Slydude
Yes, that's the sound I was referring to. Thanks for the explanation - I hadn't found any reference to this in the manual but now you've explained it I think I'll live with it. I did consider the option in the link you sent but if I kill the sound now then I won't know if a hardware fault occurs in the future............

Hi Robert - agree w/ the others, i.e. the 'startup sounds' provide information to you if the computer is having a problem booting - check HERE.

But just a step further, how often do you boot your machine? My iMac (attached to an APC UPS) is on all of the time & my MBPro usually plugged into the charger - I rarely shut down unless going 'out of town' for a few days or more; of course, both are set to 'sleep' and I do at least a monthly re-boot to clear the 'cobwebs' - this is always a debatable issue for many but an easy way to avoid hearing the sound that annoys you - :) Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Ahh Sly I am too old for the difficult stuff mate!

Remember Rob there are no silly questions, just silly answers sometimes. Keep coming back lots information here?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Ahh Sly I am too old for the difficult stuff mate!

LOL, Harry. It's just that it's getting harder to access that vast data base you have in your head. Maybe we need re-install the operating system. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
LOL, Harry. It's just that it's getting harder to access that vast data base you have in your head. Maybe we need re-install the operating system. :p

Yep, as I said - need to occasionally 'clear the cobwebs' - I can relate to that! :) Dave

cobweb.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Of course the OP could always just turn down the Mac's volume, waaay down if needed, before turning it off or rebooting. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina 13 Late 2012, iMac Late 2012, iPhone 6 64G, iPad Air 2 16G
Of course the OP could always just turn down the Mac's volume, waaay down if needed, before turning it off or rebooting. ;)

Yes, turning down the volume when turned on will supposedly mute the Mac's startup sound. I've had that done many times.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
People reboot their Macs more than 2-3 times a year?

I can think of the last three major updates from Apple issued in 2014 that required a reboot. ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.