Sound Card

C

Carolyn

I am assuming that the sound card is built into the motherboard on my G5.

Is there any way to upgrade this in the future?

Do they sell PCI sound cards for Mac's that will give me this option?

Thanks!

I checked my system profiler and it said nothing about sound at all.. Only graphics.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Carolyn: More info would help. G5, yeah Ok, what G5? Dual? What app is not delivering on sound alone? ;)

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
She didn't state she was having problems... she stated she might want to upgrade it in the future.
I have no idea.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
Carolyn said:

They certainly do. Search Google for "Mac G5 audio card" and you'll get some decent results. Of course, your choices will depend on what you'll be using it for.

OP
C

Carolyn

~laughs~ Thanks Absolute..

Ok.. Just curious for future upgrade.. It is nothing that I will need anytime soon but looking through the system profiler as opposed to a PC's Device Manager, there was nothing listed for a sound card.. So I had to ask.. :p

Thanks to all that responded.. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
Carolyn said:
I am assuming that the sound card is built into the motherboard on my G5.

Is there any way to upgrade this in the future?

Thanks!

I checked my system profiler and it said nothing about sound at all.. Only graphics.

Yes, they do sell PCI sound cards for the G5. Unfortunately, the G5 has a horrible audio system that dumps the main sound processing off to the CPUs. This slows the system WAY down in games and other audio intensive applications. If you do any sound work, or play a lot of games, I'd recommend getting a sound card immediately to save your CPU a lot of work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.