Sonoma 14.4 - No hitches or problems

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
The title says it all. Latest Update went through easily.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
The title says it all. Latest Update went through easily.

That's nice to hear and no doubt a relief to many who may be considering installing the most recent Apple Mac Sonoma update.

It's still highly recommended to have a current backup before attempting any such install. 😉

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0
On previous update I have had to sign in my Apple ID, but not this time!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Backup started, update to follow. The way I usually discover updates is on this forum. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 14", M2 Pro, 32GB RAM
Two hard crashes/restarts with 14.4 in the last few days. Seems to occur when Intego (free version) initiates its auto-scan, as upon restart the window is open but no scan occurred. Disabled auto-scan and will see what happens next.

Tom

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I don’t use it. I hate everything anti-virus.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16” M1max 32/1tb and bunch of other mac/apple stuff
There's much hurt over this update in the audio production community, if you use iLok/PACE for audio unit plugins etc don't update! Apple broke this and people are furiously backtracking. Of course most of us are still back on Ventura as pro tools has yet to be qualified for Sonoma.

OP
IWT

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just found out yesterday, a lot of the audio companies sent out email warnings to all its users about it. Unfortunately not a first with Apple and audio, I guess the audio production world is small potatoes. I’m almost always at least one OS behind the current for this reason. I can’t even update to Sonoma as pro tools still won’t run on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unfortunately not a first with Apple and audio, I guess the audio production world is small potatoes.

From what I understand from some local audio-video users in this area, Apple has been pulling and not bothering to support either for quite a number of years now. A bit of an unfortunate situation for those affected.

It seems rather strange to me, but I would have thought an upgrade was at least supposed to be an improvement over Its previous OS version. I wonder what Apple's actual idea of what an OS upgrade should be.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wouldn’t say Apple is pulling any support, far from it really. I use Apple and will likely continue to do so unless something worse happens than this. The problem for us is the rate of new OSs and updates, and how much they push them. For years we kept getting pop ups to update your OS to the new and the only way to get rid of it was to click on it and go to the App Store to cancel it out. Was great fun while you were in the middle of a tense recording session. Thankfully now it’s just a red bubble in the sys prefs menu which serves to only fry my ocd. Progress.

The rule in audio is never ever ever, run the latest OS. Unless you only run Logic Pro and use no 3rd party anything.

Ventura runs very smoothly, and I pay no attention to the new bells and whistles as much as I can.

Reaction score
Running macOS Sonoma 14.3.1 on two very much unsupported macs, a late 2009 iMac and a mid 2010 MacBook Pro without any issue. Need to wait for the next update to OCLP to do the 14.4 upgrade since they are non metal mac's, and pretty sure it will continue to work just fine. Sonoma actually seems to make them more responsive and actually seem to be faster which is a surprise, a welcome surprise.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Running macOS Sonoma 14.3.1 on two very much unsupported macs, a late 2009 iMac and a mid 2010 MacBook Pro without any issue.

OT, as a user of similar (2011) Apple-unsupported iMacs, I'm curious to know how and what you used to install the Mac OS Sonoma 14.3 update.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
For my late 2009 iMac, had to build a usb installer following the instructions on the OCLP website, and then do the post installation patches as instructed. For my mid 2010 MacBook Pro, had to also build a usb installer for it, but that needed a 2.0 usb dock and a wired keyboard and mouse to be able to do the post installation patches, because after sonoma was installed on my MacBook pro, the keyboard and trackpad no longer worked, after using the 2.0 usb dock and a wired keyboard and mouse and did the post install patches, keyboard and trackpad came back to normal along with the keyboard back lighting as it should, and works perfectly fine, using the MacBook pro in my local mcdonald's to type this post.

Reaction score
OT, as a user of similar (2011) Apple-unsupported iMacs, I'm curious to know how and what you used to install the Mac OS Sonoma 14.3 update.

- Patrick
=======
I would wait until oclp releases the 1.4.3 patch that is soon coming, since it does not look like you can download sonoma 14.3 anymore, and 14.4 will not work on non metal mac's as you will see on their website notes. Ventura is still available though as well. you can find oclp by googling oclp, and look for dortana releases, that is where you find the oclp program to install.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.