Something's wrong with my text files

Reaction score
I'd encountered this problem twice.

When i saved a file (.doc) and quit textedit, and want to reopen the same file later on, a pop up dialog box with say "The document “xxx.doc” could not be opened. The file is not in the right format. It may be corrupted...blah..blah..blah..."

The file is about 300+kb, I wouldn't say it's large... But I wouldn't want this problem to happen in the future. Is there any way to retrieve a lost file? Like what Windows microsoft can do... Wil saving a file corrupt it?

Reaction score
Well,
it looks like you are trying to edit a .doc (MS Word format) with a text editor. I think that a .doc file must be edited with MS Office or OpenOffice or any other application that support MS Word format but not simply with a text editor.

Tex

OP
Y
Reaction score
Well,
it looks like you are trying to edit a .doc (MS Word format) with a text editor. I think that a .doc file must be edited with MS Office or OpenOffice or any other application that support MS Word format but not simply with a text editor.

Tex

hmm~ no
I created the file in textedit... i saved it in .doc so that I could open with Windows....

Reaction score
hmm~ no
I created the file in textedit... i saved it in .doc so that I could open with Windows....
You don't open a file "with Windows". A file is opened with a program. Which program will try to open the file depends on the file extension association. I don't know how it is in OSX but in Windows, a .doc file is usually associated with MS Office. In this case, MS Office will try to open your text file but will fail cos it is expecting a Word document file. That's why it says "The file is not in the right format".

Try to save your file as .txt

In which OS are you trying to open the file ? Windows or OSX ?

cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini, 20" Cinema, wireless keyboard and mouse.
yeah convert your file to .txt
this will solve your problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black 2.2 GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD, Super Drive
You don't open a file "with Windows". A file is opened with a program. Which program will try to open the file depends on the file extension association. I don't know how it is in OSX but in Windows, a .doc file is usually associated with MS Office. In this case, MS Office will try to open your text file but will fail cos it is expecting a Word document file. That's why it says "The file is not in the right format".

Try to save your file as .txt

In which OS are you trying to open the file ? Windows or OSX ?

cheers

I create and edit .doc files on my mac all the time. My room mate can open it with word on his PC. Sounds like the OP is trying to open it back up on OS X and it shouldn't be a problem. Something else may be wrong.

Reaction score
I create and edit .doc files on my mac all the time. My room mate can open it with word on his PC. Sounds like the OP is trying to open it back up on OS X and it shouldn't be a problem. Something else may be wrong.
ok sorry, my mistake. I've just tried to create a text file, save it as .doc and open it with Word and it works. So .. sorry, I don't know where the yaoichia's problems comes from :Smirk:

OP
Y
Reaction score
=.=lll
well~ guess there's no solution to it eh~
I'll just save them in .rtf from now on.. until i need to open in MS only i save as is with .doc format..sigh~
anyway~ thx people ^^

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4 GHz Intel (unibody), 2 GB RAM; iPhone 3Gs
windows opens .txt so you don't have to worry about converting it to .doc to make it windows-friendly. both .doc and .txt open in both windows and mac... but .doc will only open in mac if you have office installed, i believe, but windows' rtf editor can handle .doc (though maybe textedit can handle .doc on mac? i'm not too sure....) but the point is, .txt IS windows friendly.. don't try any funny conversion stuff.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.