• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Something immoral at the iTunes music store?

N

Nightblade

Here's an interesting article I just read: http://downhillbattle.org/itunes/

Don't worry, it's not an anti-Mac article AT ALL. It just reveals some frightening facts about the iTunes Music store. It's nothing TOO major, but I advise people read it anyway.

And, sorry that I had to post this on the day that the iTunes Music Store hits England, Germany, and France. I know it's a bit inappropriate, but I still think people should become more aware.

OP
T

TylerMoney

Well, it has nothing to do with iTunes really. It's the record insdustries; they make demands that apple ahs to meet to be able to keep iTunes alive. I've always hated the record company, and that's one reason I downloaded my music for so long. I've been buying from iTunes more to support apple than anything else..cause I know musicians are getting a kick in the balls. Musicians get most their money by touring and playing shows.

OP
D

d4rr3n

meh

I agree with them about the price of it vs. what you get. Why not spend $2 more and get the actual cd which you can rip yourself into higher quality mp3's than you get from itunes.....actually, in many instances you can buy the cd's cheaper at bestbuy than you could get them at itunes. I definitely disagree with their points about ripping off the musicians. I mean, lets all shed some tears for these poor millionaire musicians. :rolleyes:

OP
F

Foreverfadesx

d4rr3n said:
I agree with them about the price of it vs. what you get. Why not spend $2 more and get the actual cd which you can rip yourself into higher quality mp3's than you get from itunes.....actually, in many instances you can buy the cd's cheaper at bestbuy than you could get them at itunes. I definitely disagree with their points about ripping off the musicians. I mean, lets all shed some tears for these poor millionaire musicians. :rolleyes:

what about smaller bands that are on it?? not every band on itunes is famous. a few bands that i'm friends with are on itunes and they still live with their parents.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
After the earthquake in the music world that Napster caused, I guess music and how it's shared and payed for will never be the same. I know people that recorded from radio to tape, and people that made tapes from LPs, so I guess sharing has been around a long time

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
You know, the artist gets 95% of their money.. from concerts. Just think about that the next time the RIAA tires to feed you a line of bull about hurting musicians.. it doesnt hurt the musicians, they get F-ed on sales no matter what.. its the record labels that get hurt and the RIAA who have their hands deep into your pocket. Think about it! Jeesh! I preformed for a few people and made alot more money doing that than selling my lil 10$ cd, i doubt u can even find one!

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
RIAA, leave us alone, seriously. No one will buy your anti-piracy MP3 player, and no one records music from the radio anymore.

But umm, yeah. Who cares. We get our music. That's all I care about... GREEDY++.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Record sales have NOT dropped. The Offspring were the #1 downloaded band for like a year or a few months. And in that month or year, they had their highest CD sales ever. Think about that!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Totally agreed. I just read in a UK mag that CD sales have not really change significantly in the period in which P2P has come to be. Also that the labels benefit the most from those sales, not the artists. Yup.

OP
N

Nightblade

I'm not saying that file sharing is a bad idea, and that downloading music is wrong! Well, actually it is wrong, but like most people, who gives a ****? Believe me, I DON'T endorse those Manny Perry ads or anything. I'm AGAINST them. Believe me, the iTunes Store is fine for people who want to get cheap music quickly and free. I'm just saying that people who go to the iTunes Music Store to get cheap and legal music that help the artist might be disappointed to find out that only the first two good qualities are true. It's cheap, it's legal, but it doesn't help the artist much. You know what? It doesn't bother ME personally. I don't care about the artists. And I know you guys don't either. But there are some people that do, and I though they might want to know this about the iTunes Music Store. That's all.

OP
M

markceltic

I have no problem with a millionaire musician.The good ones got there by hard work!The cream will rise to the top just like in any other profession.It's just these people that all that money goes to their head & suddenly they think everyone should bow down before them ticks me off.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
I've been downloading music via IRC for years. If I really like a band, I go to their concert and buy their CD for $10, all of which, they get. I got in contact with a local band and asked them how they felt about MP3 swapping. Their response? They said hand out their music all I want, and just please support them at their shows, and buy CDs directly from them. So...I did.

Oh, and while they whine about their millions in lost sales from P2P...what they're NOT telling you is the BILLIONS they've gained in free advertising, from file swappers.

RIAA can go to ****.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Im glad all the bands I listen to aren't anti music swapping

www.sharingthegroove.org

Tons of bands who allow fans to record their concerts and place them on the internet for everyone to download and upload to eachother

www.antsmarching.org

Dave matthews shows online in usually less than 3 days after a show ends with decent quality tapes recorded by the fans and all allowed by the band.

www.livephish.com 10 bucks for a whole concert in MP3 format or 13 in a FLAC format and unlimited burns and none of the antipiracy junk....They provide the Jewel Case labels and case inserts you just need to print them if you want...These are all soundboards released by the band themselves

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Many artists are for sharing. U2 has made comments, and Jacksonville's Limp Bizkit gave a free concert with drinks when Napster started

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
Hmm... Good thing there are alternative methods for gaining music. I especially love the UK's consumer laws about returns and refunds. And with so many shops to choose from, you can buy a CD, Game or any type of entertainment, from the huge array of major chains or smaller independents. Keep them for a while, return within 4 weeks and still get a full refund.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.