some websites won't load

Reaction score
Hi there. Can anybody help?!!!! I have a Macbook pro running Yosemite. Last night it started playing up . Websites running very slow. Some wouldn't load at all. Couldn't even send an email. Gmail now working okish but other sites still won't load and some are incredibly slow. All fine on my iphone and Ipad which are connected to the same network. I am a freelance illustrator. I need to work!!! Anyone got any ideas!! Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Start with the basics. Download Onyx and run its full suite of maintenance and cleaning tools. Perhaps you have a corrupt cache. Also download Adware Medic and run that, just in case you have an adware infestation. If you continue to have problems, you should provide more information. Is this only affecting internet apps, or any local productivity apps too? What are your system specs? How much drive space is used/free?

OP
D
Reaction score
Hi and thanks for responding
The thing is it is not just my computer it is the other computers in the house too. :[ An identical Macbook Pro being one of them. Mine is : MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2010) 8Gb memory.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Hi!

The fact more than one computer is having issues changes things. Try resetting your router/modem. What ever you have to connect yourself to the internet - shut it off and turn it back on. This will force a reset and usually will help with an increase in speed. If not you may have a modem/router problem.

The iPhone and iPad load much smaller website files as they usually request the mobile site from the server. This could be why they are not having as noticeable an issue. But the fact it is a problem with more than one computer points to your network/internet connection.

And if you haven't restarted your Macbook Pro for a while that won't hurt either but I don't suspect it is the problem.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi and thanks for responding
The thing is it is not just my computer it is the other computers in the house too. :[ An identical Macbook Pro being one of them. Mine is : MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2010) 8Gb memory.

But... but... you only mentioned the one MacBook before and said your iPhone and iPad was fine. This little tidbit changes everything. Gaaaaaahhhhh! *beats head on desk*

OP
D
Reaction score
Beats head on desk big style. This is the tenth time I have tried on this Mac to post a reply before it bombs out. We now have two iphones and two ipads running on the same network without problem. I can get on a few sites on this Mac but Design Crowd and People Per Hour - forget it. Gmail is up and down as are Facebook and Ebay . Some sites will load up fine. Have tried shut down - reset router, Onyx....... I can't work it out!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well how old in this particular 'puter, how much memory and how much free space on the hard drive. Is the MBP connecting via ethernet or WiFi and have you tried a reset of the router and is it a later dual channel model? For what it is worth I can only ever get a couple of years out of a router bfore this disconnection, slow downs etcraise their ugly heads.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Beats head on desk big style. This is the tenth time I have tried on this Mac to post a reply before it bombs out. We now have two iphones and two ipads running on the same network without problem. I can get on a few sites on this Mac but Design Crowd and People Per Hour - forget it. Gmail is up and down as are Facebook and Ebay . Some sites will load up fine. Have tried shut down - reset router, Onyx....... I can't work it out!!!

Take that MacBook to Starbucks or somewhere with a free hotspot. Do you still have the problem? If not, the problem has something to do with your home network. If you do still have the problem, it has something to do with your computer(s).

And please provide the details I asked for the first time. Also provide model of router in use, and modem. And did you run Adware Medic? See my signature...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.