Some songs not playable in IOS 5

Reaction score
Good morning, everyone-

I have a new iPhone 4s that replaces my 4. Everything is working very well on the phone with the exception that some of the songs are not playing. they appear to have been copied to the iPhone--or at least they are copied to the song list. They will not play, however, and they appear to be greyed out as though they are inaccessible (which they are).

Here is a picture of what I'm talking about.

This never happened in ios4 or on my iPhone 4 and none of my settings have changed. I originally installed from a backup, but have since removed all the songs and reinstalled them with a fresh sync with the same results. I assume it's a system issue rather than hardware, but I don't have a clue what could be causing it.

I can't find a common thread. Some are AAC, some MP3, some Apple Lossless, etc. I have selected to reduce file size to 128, but I always did that before as well.

Any thoughts?

Oh, and I should add, the vast majority with which I'm having trouble with are songs that I imported from CD's which I own-- i.e., they are not purchased songs so it shouldn't be an ownership/permissions issue.

itunes_music2.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Just do a double check when the phone is sync'd to your computer look at your music
and make sure all the selections are checked that you wanted ported over this happen
to me in iPhoto so when I looked the box I had previously checked was now unchecked
corrected and re -syn'd all was good. Pay close attention to Playlists box because what
it looks like only purchased may be selected.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Has nothing to do with iOS 5.

See that symbol at the far left of all those songs that are greyed out - that means iTunes can't find them. e.g. they are not in the location where iTunes is looking for them.

You need to re-associate the correct path to the individual songs or delete and re-import them.

OP
I
Reaction score
Has nothing to do with iOS 5.

See that symbol at the far left of all those songs that are greyed out - that means iTunes can't find them. e.g. they are not in the location where iTunes is looking for them.

You need to re-associate the correct path to the individual songs or delete and re-import them.

Actually, that's not it. I did a search on Apple's site and it appears that there are a large number of people experiencing the same issue. There have been a myriad of fixes, and none seems to be a universal fix. The songs all play on the Macs, but not on the phones.

I started playing around with it, changing from auto sync to manual sync, deleting all music under settings/general/usage/music on the iPhone, and dragging playlists manually to the phone. Didn't do anything the first two times (in fact, twice all music was supposedly deleted on my phone, but I sill had 43 songs showing up under my music app while both the laptop and the usage setting showed no songs), but something clicked after going through the process a third time. Now after manually installing playlists one at a time, all music seems to be uploading the actual music files.

FWIW, I did nothing to iTunes other than change syncing preferences. This is DEFINITELY an issue with ios5, iTunes or a combination of the two.

Nonetheless, it's up and working now.
mathews_thumbsup.gif

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Ooops, I didn't look close enough at the pic.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.