Some Opinions....Please

F

Fstop36

I am running a G4 350 with Panther that has been freezing since upgrading (and I am not sure if "upgrading" is the correct term) to OSX...The only thought left is the Radeon card I purchased to run my Cinema display. Maybe faulty...It is a 7000 PCI 32 mg card...I will run a test with another monitor and my original Rage card and see if the freezing stops...It is the only other issue I have not checked...I said all that to say this.........
I bought a dual 450, with a gig of ram, gig ethernet etc.....I want to purchase a Video Card for it...OK, am I better off with an AGP Radeon card as opposed to a PCI card, and is a 64 mg card enough to run my graphics apps (Photoshop, Quark, In Design, etc.) or should I be at 128 mg? I will take any and all thoughts....Fstop

OP
F

Fstop36

Is Anyone Out There?

I know there must be some living and breathing members with some opinions....I could use some....Fstop

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2Ghz SR MBP
I would go with the 128mb just being me. With all the effects rendering and Panther literally relying on the graphics card, the 128mb is a good idea.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Go for the AGP, it's a lot faster than PCI.
And 64MB will be sufficiant, even if you use two monitors at the same time. You will not get much benefit of 128MB, you won't even see a speed difference.
My PowerMac came with the ATI Radeon 9000 Pro 64MB, and I never reached it's limit, using more or less the same applications you do.
Buy a newer one, like 9600 or 9800 if you can afford it, but 64MB is enough.
Only the most recent games take benefit of 128MB on a graphics adapter, and this is mostly for PCs.

OP
M

MoltenLava

Listen to Avalon. He's one of the rare people that give correct advice in this forum. ;)

Go for AGP, and 64MB is sufficient. Size of videoram is usually not an indication of performance. Newer and faster videocards happen to come with more videorams, that's all. What's more important is the bus, AGP, and the chipset. i.e. 64MB Radeon 9500 will run circles around 128MB Radeon 9000.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
MoltenLava said:
Listen to Avalon. He's one of the rare people that give correct advice in this forum. ;)

Thanks for the compliment, Lava ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2Ghz SR MBP
maybe its one of my systems then. Well then again my old G4 has a colorful history. Bought it off of my soon to be dead neighbor(95 years old) and its always seemed to have a mind on its own. Always shut down, Open Random programs(which was sometimes nice) but the Apple Store said there was nothing wrong with it. I still have it. Its sitting in my closet. Dunno what I might do with it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.