Some issues after updating to Catalina from Mojave.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
There is a third alternative and that is to copy the photos library from the Mojave backup to your system in Catalina, put it in some folder and give it a different name. The default is "photos library.photoslibrary" but you can name the Mojave version "photos library2.photoslibrary" and put it in the same folder with the current photo library, keeping both until you get it sorted out. Then hold down the Option key while you click on Photos and it will offer to allow you to create a new one, or point to the new one. Use that to point to the copied Mojave version and let it do the updating. At the end, with any luck, you may have all your photos back. Test that and once you are happy, you can delete the original photos library to get back the space (make sure you delete the correct one, eh?).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, and by the way, how do you think I learned all of this? Would it help you if I said my current photos library is named "photos library2.photoslibrary?" Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.

OP
hempomatic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13", 2020, 2.3 Ghz, Quad core i7, 16gb, 1 TB, Iris Plus Graphics 1536 MB , Sonoma 14.1.1
There is a third alternative and that is to copy the photos library from the Mojave backup to your system in Catalina, put it in some folder and give it a different name. The default is "photos library.photoslibrary" but you can name the Mojave version "photos library2.photoslibrary" and put it in the same folder with the current photo library, keeping both until you get it sorted out. Then hold down the Option key while you click on Photos and it will offer to allow you to create a new one, or point to the new one. Use that to point to the copied Mojave version and let it do the updating. At the end, with any luck, you may have all your photos back. Test that and once you are happy, you can delete the original photos library to get back the space (make sure you delete the correct one, eh?).

I'm a little gun shy right now, but the back up drive isn't going anywhere, so if they are there, they will be when and if I can pull my head out of my ass.

krs

Reaction score
I'm a little gun shy right now, but the back up drive isn't going anywhere,
What do you mean by that?
Are you trying to clone back?
I may have missed that in these posts, but did you ever boot up successfully on the backup?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@hempomatic, Here is where I think you are right now. You have a good backup clone of Mojave that boots, albeit it will be slow. But on that clone you have tried to open the photos database from the Catalina version of Photos that is on your boot drive. In that attempted opening, the database on the Mojave drive was updated to the newer version and now the Mojave version of Photos won't open it because it doesn't recognize the upgrade. If that is correct, the challenge now is that if you do a restoration back to THAT Mojave, the images still won't be there and in fact you will have lost them all because the Mojave Photos cannot open the Catalina Photos database. So at this point going backwards is a closed door for now. If my description is not correct, let me know what actually is the situation and you can stop reading this long post now. Also do you have any other backups than the SD clone? Time Machine? Are the images synchronized to iCloud and are they on iCloud now? Are they all there if they are in iCloud?

But now if I have all of that right, the path forward is to get the Catalina Photos to open the photos library on the Mojave drive successfully and see if all the images are there. That can be done without sacrificing the current Catalina photos library if we do this correctly.

The goal now is preservation of the photos, whatever we do. If you have another drive and if it has space, what you should do is to copy the photoslibrary file from the Mojave clone to that drive so that it's safe as we can make it. For now we'll call that the "deep storage" backup. Once the copy of the deep storage version is done, copy the same library to the internal drive, putting it wherever your Catalina photoslibrary file is and renaming it to something else, like "photos library2.photoslibrary" or whatever you want. Put the deep storage backup someplace safe to make sure you don't make any mistakes with it.

Once that copy is saved and safe and you have a copy to work on on the Catalina drive, you can open the Catalina Photos with the Option key down and get a dialog box like this:

Screen Shot 2020-08-18 at 7.04.12 PM.png

Select the "Other Library..." option and point to the library 2 photolibrary, the one you copied to the Catalina drive and renamed. Photos will detect that the library is one version back and do the upgrade to the Catalina version. At that point it will open and you should be able to see all of the images. It make take a while to build the database and thumbnails so be patient.

If that works, then you have some options:

1. You can stay on Catalina
2. You can roll back to Mojave

If you want to stay on Catalina, you are done with Photos. The new photoslibrary is the default and the other one in the same folder is the previous version that was missing images. Once you are happy with #2, you can delete the one with missing images. I'd hold off on that for a while, but there is no reason you cannot recover that space once you are content that the new library is doing what you want it to do. Frankly, this is the option I would pick at this point. You have your photos working, all that is wrong are the missing music tracks. IF the running hot has gone away (you haven't mentioned it recently), then just stay on Catalina and not risk the pictures any more.

If you want to roll back to Mojave, once you have the Catalina version working, you will need to export all of the image files from that good database to someplace else that can hold them all (not on the Catalina drive, that one is going to be erased). That export will put the original names back, along with the exif data and metadata on the files so they can be successfully imported later. When that export is complete, you can go ahead with the rollback to Mojave (boot from Mojave, erase and format the internal drive again, do the clone back from the Mojave external). At that point you want to start Photos again with the Option key, but this time select Create new and make a new photoslibrary database. Give it a name different from the one that is in use. Doesn't really matter what the name is, just something different. Photos will open to an empty database and offer to import images. Point to where all the exported images are and select them all for import and let it rip. Eventually Photos will have all of the images in, the database updated and ready to go. Your albums and facial recognition will have to be redone, but you will have all of the images.

Sorry about all this work, but as I said, it's the big drive structure changes that makes rolling back so hard to do from Catalina.

If all of this goes sideways, the copy that you made to the deep storage is your insurance copy. No matter what you do, do NOT mess with that copy with Photos, always copy it to some other location before you try anything. If all else fails we can get the images out of the database with brute force.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Correct me if I got this wrong but you said you had a Time Machine backup that refused to update on Catalina because "there was not enough room" so you effectively still have a TM backup of Mojave?
It is possible to boot from a TM backup, use Disk Utility on the TM Backup to erase the internal SSD and reinstall MacOS and all files.
Having said that, I am more concerned about the overheating issue because it sounds more like an intermittent hardware issue than a software problem. If so you may be better off to get the device checked out before spending any more time on restoring your data.

OP
hempomatic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13", 2020, 2.3 Ghz, Quad core i7, 16gb, 1 TB, Iris Plus Graphics 1536 MB , Sonoma 14.1.1
What do you mean by that?
Are you trying to clone back?
I may have missed that in these posts, but did you ever boot up successfully on the backup?

I was able to boot to the back-up, but I am NOT able to read the Photos library without it updating. Since I have no idea what that actually means as far as what it's updating to or from, rather than taking the chance of the restoration failing, or the photos library disintegrating further, I'm just going to limit my use of the computer for several months until I can afford a new machine. I simply don't have the technical expertise to salvage anything if the back up fails. There is too much to lose. If the computer overheats and self destructs, I'll still have the back up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, there are too many cooks in this kitchen. Between @krs, Rod and me, poor hempomatic has to be confused. So I'm dropping out of this thread to make it easier.

For hempomatic, good luck with it. Be careful with the backups as they are key to getting your pictures back. Even if Photos won't open the database, as long as it is not overwritten, the images are there, even if it takes brute force to get them out. So protect that photoslibrary file until you get it sorted out and avoid doing ANYTHING that jeopardizes the integrity of that library.

OP
hempomatic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Correct me if I got this wrong but you said you had a Time Machine backup that refused to update on Catalina because "there was not enough room" so you effectively still have a TM backup of Mojave?
It is possible to boot from a TM backup, use Disk Utility on the TM Backup to erase the internal SSD and reinstall MacOS and all files.
Having said that, I am more concerned about the overheating issue because it sounds more like an intermittent hardware issue than a software problem. If so you may be better off to get the device checked out before spending any more time on restoring your data.

I do have Time Machine, but I also used Super Duper for the clone. I assumed, incorrectly apparently, that this would be simple, and if there was an issue with Catalina, I'd simply restore from the back. This has gotten too complex for ME to resolve, too many things can go wrong. I'd agree with the intermittent hardware issue, but it seems too oddly coincidental that this profound level of heat occurred immediately after upgrading to Catalina.

OP
hempomatic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, there are too many cooks in this kitchen. Between @krs, Rod and me, poor hempomatic has to be confused. So I'm dropping out of this thread to make it easier.

For hempomatic, good luck with it. Be careful with the backups as they are key to getting your pictures back. Even if Photos won't open the database, as long as it is not overwritten, the images are there, even if it takes brute force to get them out. So protect that photoslibrary file until you get it sorted out and avoid doing ANYTHING that jeopardizes the integrity of that library.

Thanks again. I'm not going to touch the clone, and I'm turning off time machine since I can't get it to work anyway. I'm not going to take ANY chances with the Photos library. Any pictures I download or edit, until I get a new computer will be uploaded off site. I've been using Amazon Music lately anyway, so adding music is a non issue.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
@hempomatic, you have done all the right things having both TM and a clone backup. Taking a break until you can repair or replace the device in question is a good idea. Rest assured, as Jake said, your data should all be fine and retrievable when you have the time and energy to devote to it.
It is coincidental that this occurred after upgrade but as stated it is getting a little long in the tooth so who knows?
Get back to us at any time. :) (y)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Retina (2019) & Macbook Pro Retina both on osMac 12, iMac 27' on os Mac 10.15.7
The 13" Late 2012 MBP retina is supported for Catalina as is the 13' Mid 2012 MacBook Pro but these devices are right on the borderline of compatibility. The Mid-Late 13" 2012 MBP also has 2 X USB 3.0 ports so I am concerned that your device may be an earlier model. Can you just confirm the model under the Apple Menu > About This Computer.
The intense activity you refer to may be related to iCloud synchronisation of you Photos and Music Libraries and re indexing of spotlight.
There is also the question of your HD. Is it the original drive? If so it may be on it's last legs and did not cope well with the re write necessary to upgrade to Catalina.
The SuperDuper clone you have, is it of your Mojave OS or the upgraded Catalina OS?
Worse case scenario you may need to erase the internal HD and restore from your clone if it's of Mojave? If not use the Recovery Partition to restore the original macOS that came with the device and restore it to Mojave from there.
Always bearing in mind this is an 8 year, nearly 9 year old device so it may have other issues as with the HDD already mentioned.
There are a number of questions to be answered so do get back to this forum with the answers and we will attempt to move on from there.
Never used Time Machine. One it's not bootable. I use Carbon Copy Cloner, it copies your Mac HD exactly to an external drive, either SATA or SSD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
One it's not bootable.
Yes, it is. You can boot a TM backup to the recovery function, reinstall the OS and then do a restore.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Retina (2019) & Macbook Pro Retina both on osMac 12, iMac 27' on os Mac 10.15.7
Yes, it is. You can boot a TM backup to the recovery function, reinstall the OS and then do a restore.
Thats not the same as booting from an external drive. My MacBook Pro was faulty, so just used a Cloned copy and it worked perfect.

However, I have to admit I'm not to good with Mac OS X, better on older software.

krs

Reaction score
Never used Time Machine. One it's not bootable. I use Carbon Copy Cloner, it copies your Mac HD exactly to an external drive, either SATA or SSD.
Well, not "exactly" as I discovered in another thread.
That CCC doesn't copy the files in the Trash is somewhat understandable, but there is also some constrainst in what CCC copies when iy comes to 1Password
I don't use 1Password so I haven't read what the real ramifications are in that case

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I do run 1Password and the impact is zero. The password vaults are preserved and can be backed up, it is simply that the application itself should not be because of the way it works internally, according to the 1Password article linked by Bombich. I recall getting the message that there were more than one application on my system, but I just ignored it. It made no difference and eventually the message disappeared. I think 1Password fixed the issue but Bombich never changed CCC.

OP
hempomatic
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

I used Time Machine when I replaced my hard drive with a SSD. It worked fine. In this case I also used Super Duper to clone the drive, and that's bootable.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Time Machine has been bootable since MacOS 10.8 and not only can it restore all your files but it can also restore your Operating System and All Your Files to the one used when you performed the TM backup. It may even be possible to restore from a TM Snapshot on your Macintosh HD if intact. See; https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203981#macos
I have never been a big proponent of TM preferring to use a CCC clone but it is a great second line backup and more capable than I sometimes give it credit for, certainly much better than no backup at all and completely automatic, requiring almost no setup just an EHD.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.