Some apps will not launch on Yosemite 10.10.1

Reaction score
Greetings:

I am seeing some apps that will not launch now that I have upgraded to Yosemite 10.10.1. Example SKYPE. It would not launch, it generated this dialog about "Check with developers about compatibility" It also included a buffer dump with other info. I then used an App deletion utility to remove SKYPE and all the files. I then re downloaded the latest version with the same results. I should mention that SKYPE said they do not officially support Yosemite BUT it should work( The dreaded Should Work!!!). How ever other apps do work like a game or two my wife downloaded from Big Fish. Are others seeing apps that not work with Yosemite???

Thanks In Advance.
Gartistico...

Reaction score
Question in general:

What type of macintosh are you using to run yosemite.

And how much ram??

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response:

I am running on a 2007 iMac,
I have upgraded to 4G of ram,
The HD has 208G available for the 250G.
I have already run Disk utilities- Permissions and repaired what was found.
I also performed a Safe Mode boot to clean things up.

Other than the few apps not launching this Mac runs great. I am hoping this version of Yosemite is more of a Beta than a stable version that might be coming.

Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Beta versions of Yosemite were good, and OS 10.10.1 is excellent. Depends a lot what you upgraded from as you have not shared this with us. Best way forward was a clean format and install rather than a simple upgrade.

However if you have older PowerPC applications, such as Office 2004 etc., no more Rosetta since OS X.7 so they will not run period.

OP
G
Reaction score
I upgraded from Mountain Lion to the first version of Yosemite as a basic upgrade not a complete reload. Then I performed the upgrade to Yosemite 10.10.1. I should say that post first Yosemite upgrade some weird stuff happened... Like Finder could not be found. ( That is a bit of a Logical circular reference !! ) I did the standard crisis stuff.. Reload system defaults, Safe boot and Disk/Permissions and that fixed all. I think your right in the Reload from CD for a fresh install is the correct way... Maybe later. But since this iMac is at the Max RAM a new iMac may be down the road anyway.....

Reaction score
Wow thats weird!!!

And i mean weird.

Question did you update from the app store???

A lot of people have found if they update from the apple website it goes smoother with less bug's.

OP
G
Reaction score
Greetings
I did it from the App store.

Thanks for the response. It looks like I will wait a while to install any new apps that I pay for and make sure they state Yosemite compliant!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have found some after market Chat applications will not run in any version of Yosemite. One example here is Yahoo Messenger and that is clearly Yahoo's fault as they care about the Mac and OSX so little it shows.

I will check on the Skype application and get back to you. Just to be 100% sure, you have downloaded the latest Skype?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Reaction score
Honestly first time i have heard of this as well.

I have a mac pro running Yosemite 10.10.2 beta right now and i have no issues running Skype at all.

So i don't understand why it's doing what it is doing unless Microsoft decided to implement some new rigging to Skype to make it more windows compatible and xbox one compatible then macintosh.

C

chas_m

Same here. 10.10.2, and I use Skype every single day to communicate with work colleagues (since we are scattered around the globe on a variety of platforms). I have been using Skype on a routine basis (always the latest version) for the last couple of years in this way ... from Lion to Yosemite. No issues at all (well, other than Skype's notoriously variable quality -- but I mainly use it for audio and messaging, where it is its most stable). In short, the program has no trouble running in Yosemite, so something else is going on there.

M

MacInWin

10.10.2? I'm at 10.10.1 and there aren't any updates available. Are you beta testing?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.