Software Transfer

Reaction score
I have a emac with lots of very useful software on it but a dead screen.
I also have 3 other emacs which i am setting up to use at home.
I have already migrated all my applications and data onto one but I have 3 questions.
1. Is there a limit to how many times I can transfer stuff off the donor. In other words will the computer recognise what I am doing and stop me at some point?
2. Is there a licensing issue ( mind you all the software is years old!)
3. Why is it when I do transfer stuff I find I have setup another user on the new computer with all the transferred data in that new users name rather than in my own administrator name?
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, Power Mac G4, iMac G3, iPhone 3GS
1) I highly doubt it. This is how I pretty much keep my Macintoshes synch'd when I have to reinstall... which is seldom.

2) Well, yes there is. You're not "supposed" to run apps on more than one box. Oops.

3) If you use the built-in Mac transfer app, it copies everything... files, apps, and user accounts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
1) Not that I have seen - there is no limit. Of course, migrating extremely old stuff to a brand new Mac may cause problems due to software compatibilities.

2) As Jamie-Jamie said, there is - legally most software licenses allows you to have 1 copy on a desktop and 1 copy on a laptop, but only one can be used at a given time.

3) If you're setting up the account pre-transfer of data, you need to setup an account with a different user name, it won't let you do a full restore of your account information into an existing logged in account - you have files and programs open whether you know it or not and the OS requires you to be not logged in under that account to restore the account information. It's usually easier to either do the transfer at initial OS installation, or if you're going to do it later, create another administrative account, log into it, restore the data, then log back into your account... At least that's what I've found when restoring data from an old system into a new system.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.