Software or Hardware Problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" 2.5 Ghz i5 with 16GB of RAM and a 1TB SSD.
Hello!

I have an iPhone 11 which is about 2 years old. Around the 1 year mark, Apple replaced all the internals due to a manufacturer defect - so in many ways the iPhone is only a year old.

Sometimes (like last night), I'll listen to a podcast when I shower (3 small boys, the shower can be a sanctuary!). It never fell, was submerged or even had actual water on it - it was at my chest height.

This morning I woke up and noticed that my phone did not charge. It warned me that there was water in the port and to let it dry. It's never had that happen after it being in the shower, but I suppose that a droplet could get in there or just humidity.

I realized a few minutes later, as I turned the lights on, that something much was wrong. As I was holding the phone in my hand, it rebooted itself. Once it rebooted (the Apple Logo was still bright white on the screen), the screen went black. I came to discover that the screen was only visible in a dark room - just enough light was coming off the backlight that in a dark room I could see it.

I tried restarting it and the backlight still would not work (I also tried to adjust the brightness manually - it did not work).

I took my phone to work, intending to have someone from our IT department to see if they knew what was up. As I picked up my phone to show a friend, it rebooted itself again in my hand. Once it restarted, the screen was functioning like normal. Full brightness, fully responsive to touch - as if nothing ever happened.

I used my phone all day without incident. As dinner tonight, my phone rebooted itself again and now the screen is dark again - only in a dark room is it visible. I have restarted it 10 times and I can't get the backlight to turn back on. I do not have AppleCare +.

Is there troubleshooting I can do? Is it likely software? Hardware?

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Update: My phone just restarted itself and now the screen is working again.

In the past 20 minutes it's restarted itself 7 times (it did not do this earlier). The screen is still working though, which is good.

Should I wipe the device perhaps?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I would do a full backup to a Mac via Finder; wipe it; and restore the backup. Hopefully that will do the trick, but quite frankly I'm skeptical. It does sound like you got stuck with a lemon. I would also try to get up with Apple. Even though it's out of warranty, they did do the one major repair and like I said, it looks like you got saddled with a lemon.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm going to try that. As of an hour ago it won't turn back on. I am hoping that it changes its tune later, but part of me fears that it's just... dead.

I have the Family Plan for iCloud with 2TB and the phone regularly backs up to iCloud so I doubt I lost much if any data.

Saw a refurb 2020 SE on a website for $130 bucks. Thinking about replacing this phone with that and wait until the new iPhone comes out this fall and snag a carrier deal at that time...

In a perfect world the phone turns back on and everyone is happy..

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Saw a refurb 2020 SE on a website for $130 bucks. Thinking about replacing this phone with that and wait until the new iPhone comes out this fall and snag a carrier deal at that time...

That sounds fine; but I have to say that Apple Care or not, that iPhone is "damaged" in a way that Apple should repair/replace it.

What I'd do is take it by appointment to an Apple Store if that is within reasonable travel distance. Be kind, courteous but also firm with them. A major fault occurred previously and Apple did a complete repair.

That is what you should insist they do again or, better still, request a refurbished iPhone with the same specs as yours.

If you get no joy, contact Apple Customer Relations by phone. They have much more latitude in terms of replacing a damaged iPhone - NB I said Customer Relations rather than phoning Apple help line.

Good luck.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Agreed 100% with Ian. You got a lemon and Apple knows it. They will set this right.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The fact that you don't have AppleCare on this phone is a problem. You can certainly take the phone back to the Apple store and see if the issue presents itself and the innards being replaced before might lead them to do something about it.

However, even with AppleCare if there is liquid damage detected, then you have to use up one of the two allowed accidental damage passes to get the device fixed.

Without AppleCare, you have no protection and unlike cars, there is no "lemon law" to protect you, so you might be out of luck if the phone begins to misbehave more often.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I appreciate your thoughts. I used to professionally negotiate medical bills, but that was only because I truly believed that I was right and they were not.

I don't think I would want to negotiate them on this, for the following reasons. (I did not provide this in the original post because it was a long time ago and did not seem relevant). Also, nearest Apple Store is 3 hours away.

After Apple did a complete internal replacement a year ago, I went rafting. My phone was in my pocket or in my hand the whole time - it was partially submerged at some points but never completely and it was not dropped. Within five minutes of tubing, Face ID stopped working. It never worked again. I can't imagine that a "waterproof" (I technically water resistant) phone would have a broken FaceID for being partially submerged for 5 minutes. I suspect that Apple, if they analyzed the device, would claim "water damage" and not repair it for free.

In addition, starting 3 weeks ago, my camera has not worked correctly. The default camera position (.5, maybe?) is very blurry and will not focus. If I zoom in/out a tiny bit, the entire picture is perfectly clear. Again - no damage was done to the phone, it just randomly started a few weeks ago.

I can't get the phone to turn back on - I think it's dead for good.

A website I saw is wiling to offer me $14 in store credit for the iPhone. It's basically useless at this point, so I am assuming that's a fair price? Any thoughts?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
In its current state, anything above $0 is a fair price for the phone. So time for a new one phone. Also while the phones are water resistant, water is amazing at getting through and electronics and water don't mix.

If you want to have your phone during activites that you know are going to be wet, surfing, tubing, rafting, hanging out in the pool, beach, etc., invest in a waterproof phone pouch and keep your phone dry.

I used these during my trip to Iceland when we know we were going to get wet and it worked great. Just droplets of water is no biggy, it's the submersion you are trying to avoid.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
A website I saw is wiling to offer me $14 in store credit for the iPhone.

Whilst wholeheartedly agreeing with Ashwin, a point you have to remember is that you have data on that iPhone which could possibly be recovered with the appropriate tools.

What you could do to circumnavigate this, is log in to your Apple ID on another Device (or in fact on any PC or Computer) and wipe the data from it. That would require the iPhone to be on or at least have a WiFi or other connection to the outer world, I think.

It's simply a thought to bear in mind.

Ian

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Whilst wholeheartedly agreeing with Ashwin, a point you have to remember is that you have data on that iPhone which could possibly be recovered with the appropriate tools.

What you could do to circumnavigate this, is log in to your Apple ID on another Device (or in fact on any PC or Computer) and wipe the data from it. That would require the iPhone to be on or at least have a WiFi or other connection to the outer world, I think.

It's simply a thought to bear in mind.

Ian
It will not power on at this point, so I don't believe there is anything more I can do with it.

I think something related to the power supply is broken.

I just ordered an "excellent" condition iPhone XR from backmarket for $240. It'll do the job for a while.

I appreciate everyone's help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.