Software Development on a Mac -- What do you use?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac-Mini
I have had a Mac-Mini now for almost a year. I love it. I plan on either getting a laptop or desktop this year for Christmas. I just have not decided on which yet.

I develop shareware and freeware as well as websites for a hobby and for fun and a small amount of profit. ;D I have been working with REALbasic standard for Mac now about 5 months and it is alright. I would like to know what most programmers use to develop software on a Mac. I know how to use Java but I keep hearing allot about Cocoa, Objective-C, etc.

Any insights would be grateful and thanks in advance and God bless.

nb

Reaction score
I don't know what the most popular languages are but I've had a lot of fun with Cocoa and Objective-C. The best part is that Apple includes the XCode IDE/compiler on your OS CD for free so you can just install it and get to work!

Reaction score
Certainly. That's the best book I've ever found on learning Objective-C and Cocoa. Once you get done with that, you'll be rockin'!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
Xcode, Objective-C / Cocoa. I would shy away from anything with Java, especially Java/Cocoa --- it's deprecated, not to mention inferior to Objective-C.

As for RealBasic, if you're looking to take it to the next level, go to Cocoa. RB is really limited, especially in terms of actually doing cool things with it.

I second the recommendation for Aaron's book -- he did a phenomenal job.

Reaction score
If you have any experience in programing go with cocoa. I just started with it a few months ago as a hobby and short of learning the different classes and messages you can send you should pick it up reasonably fast, the Objective-C part that is. I am not sure anyone can learn all the classes and methods in the Foundation and AppKit compleatly, that's what the documentation is for.

As for the html, I use Taco for the editor and Cyberduck for the ftp client. They are free and do a reasonable job for what they are intended to do.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.