• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

SoftBank is reportedly close to selling ARM to NVIDIA

Reaction score
477f82d0-f527-11ea-aff5-5ea05774eaae
SoftBank might be close to finding a buyer for ARM, and it won’t surprise you who the bidder might be. Wall Street Journal sources say SoftBank is close to a deal to sell ARM Holdings to NVIDIA for “more than” $40 billion. The two have reportedly bee...

Click here to view the article...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Arm, Arm, who has the Arm? Is that one Arm or two Arms? And does anyone care? :rolleyes:

Reaction score
This may be bad news for Apple . Nvidia has had a bad relationship with Apple for a long time. Nvidia once had a deal with Apple to be their sole supplier of video cards, but before the deal was announced Nvidia got on Steve's bad side by leaking information, and Steve absolutely humiliated Nvidia over it. Apple cancelled the deal, and the two companies relationship has been frosty ever since.

Apple is about to move all of their computers to ARM-based processors, and all of their other devices already use ARM-based processors. If Nvidia buys ARM, Apple has to hope that enough time has gone by that the two companies can make up with each other.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Apple is about to move all of their computers to ARM-based processors, and all of their other devices already use ARM-based processors. If Nvidia buys ARM, Apple has to hope that enough time has gone by that the two companies can make up with each other.

I seemed to remember reading that Apple was already licensed to use ARM technology. I don't think the sale to Nvidia is going to change that.

Reaction score
I seemed to remember reading that Apple was already licensed to use ARM technology. I don't think the sale to Nvidia is going to change that.
I don't doubt that they have a license, the question is how long the license is for. If it comes up for renewal in just a few years, things might be dicey for Apple.

On the other hand, Apple once owned ARM. I wouldn't be surprised if they withheld a license to the technology in perpetuity.

I'm not sure that there is any way to find out.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
ARM is in the business if licensing their technology to many fabricators, the sale to NVIDIA isn't going to change that business model. To that end, Apple is going to be like any other licensor for the ARM technology, I doubt there is going to be ANY impact on the future of Apple's ARM-strategy with this particular sale.

If anything this means that ARM is now the (and only) process for all mobile devices and all Macs going forward. This is a good deal for NVIDIA, it's one thing if the market was dwindling for technology they just spent a boatload of money on.

At the end of the day, business is business, these large companies work in a very dispassionate way unlike humans.

Reaction score
...Apple is going to be like any other licensor for the ARM technology, I doubt there is going to be ANY impact on the future of Apple's ARM-strategy with this particular sale.

At the end of the day, business is business, these large companies work in a very dispassionate way unlike humans.

From Engadget:

"NVIDIA clearly wouldn’t be a neutral owner. It might face stiff opposition from officials concerned that it might withhold technology from rival chipmakers or otherwise give itself an unfair advantage. It could effectively dictate the futures of companies that design ARM-based chips, like Apple and Samsung..."

krs

Reaction score
I was wondering why Apple wasn't interested in buying ARM.
Here is a bit of insight along with some interesting comments

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
From Engadget:

"NVIDIA clearly wouldn’t be a neutral owner. It might face stiff opposition from officials concerned that it might withhold technology from rival chipmakers or otherwise give itself an unfair advantage. It could effectively dictate the futures of companies that design ARM-based chips, like Apple and Samsung..."

I would say that would be quite foolish of NVIDIA to not be neutral on this front. I would even run ARM as a totally separate subsidiary that does its own deals with people and "sells" chips to NVIDIA if need be. It would monumentally stupid on their part to take a staple business and gut it by playing favorites or messing with revenue model.

I was wondering why Apple wasn't interested in buying ARM.
Here is a bit of insight along with some interesting comments

Apple would only purchase this if they could use it exclusively, which is unlikely here. This is not a good business fit for Apple.

Reaction score
I would say that would be quite foolish of NVIDIA to not be neutral on this front.

Maybe. Or maybe they would do some calculations and decide that they could make more money selling their own ARM-based chips rather than selling the rights to ARM to certain competitors to allow those competitors to sell *their* chips. It's not like companies are never cut-throat.

It's also not like companies don't hold a grudge or do things that aren't in their own best interest simply out of spite. What Jobs did to Nvidia when Apple cut them off was purely a spiteful act. It humiliated Nvidia, but it wasn't really at all in Apple's best interest. Apple had to go with inferior graphics processors from other companies for ages after that.

Apple would only purchase this if they could use it exclusively, which is unlikely here. This is not a good business fit for Apple.

You do know that Apple was a previous owner of ARM? In fact, Apple and Acorn FOUNDED ARM jointly. Apple seemed to think that it was a good business fit to create and own ARM back then. (Apple used ARM-based processors in the Newton.) And they never used ARM technology exclusively when they owned ARM.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.